What's new

Routing issue with the RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asususr

New Around Here
Hello folks

I am not currently running Merlin firmware on my ASUS RT-N66U, but my question is would running it solve my issue below. Thanks!

The RT-N66U has a LAN network of 192.168.0.1. There is a router on the network at 192.168.0.179 that links to the 192.168.1.0 network. I have entered a static route on the RT-N66U to direct 192.168.1.0 traffic to 192.168.0.179.

If I ping from the 192.168.0.1 to the 192.168.1.0 net, all is good. But if I ping from the 192.168.1.0 net to 192.168.0.103 ,for example, it gets dropped by the router.

I ran a trace and saw that the pings are reaching the client at 192.168.0.103 and there is a response but it is dropped at the RT-N66U.

If i add a static route on the 0.103 client and point directly to 192.168.0.179 all is ok.

I need the RT-N66U to forward traffic that does not originate on its LAN as I am not able to add static routes to all devices. Will this be solved by Merlin software or a modification to the iptables?

Thanks!!

Would help to know what firmware is installed.

But even without knowing, it is easy to create a backup .cfg file (and have your current version of your firmware available on your local drive) and flash to the latest RMerlin code with a full reset to factory defaults and a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect it to the ISP.

You can then test for yourself in your environment how much better the bug free version of RMerlin firmware is for you (remember, there may still be bugs from Asus that RMerlin cannot fix, because those parts of the firmware may be closed source).

If your testing doesn't find anything worth switching for, it is matter of minutes to flash your current firmware back to the router and after a reset to factory defaults and a hard reboot (pull the power plug and wait for a minute or two), restore the backup .cfg file you created to be back to where you were.

Yes that would be useful, sorry about that. The firmware version is 3.0.0.4.376_3707. I know newer firmware exists, but the unit is live and I haven't had any downtime to update. The release don't mention this type of problem but i hope not all bugs fixes are published.

I will try the latest ASUS code then try the Merlin fw if i need to, thanks for the feedback!!

Hello folks

I am not currently running Merlin firmware on my ASUS RT-N66U, but my question is would running it solve my issue below. Thanks!

The RT-N66U has a LAN network of 192.168.0.1. There is a router on the network at 192.168.0.179 that links to the 192.168.1.0 network. I have entered a static route on the RT-N66U to direct 192.168.1.0 traffic to 192.168.0.179.

If I ping from the 192.168.0.1 to the 192.168.1.0 net, all is good. But if I ping from the 192.168.1.0 net to 192.168.0.103 ,for example, it gets dropped by the router.

I ran a trace and saw that the pings are reaching the client at 192.168.0.103 and there is a response but it is dropped at the RT-N66U.

If i add a static route on the 0.103 client and point directly to 192.168.0.179 all is ok.

I need the RT-N66U to forward traffic that does not originate on its LAN as I am not able to add static routes to all devices. Will this be solved by Merlin software or a modification to the iptables?

Thanks!!

Yes the fork will solve your problem 100% sure.
Maybe Merlin's will too.
In the fork, Version 11 added a new option to allow local subnet forwarding which is your problem. Version 13 makes it the default.

Yes the fork will solve your problem 100% sure.
Maybe Merlin's will too.
In the fork, Version 11 added a new option to allow local subnet forwarding which is your problem. Version 13 makes it the default.
Excellent news, Thanks coldwizard!! I will search the site to figure out what the "fork" is and give it a shot ;) Thanks a million!!