What's new

Rsync issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vishnu Rao

Regular Contributor
Background info: I have a RT-AC68U running the latest Merlin build: 380.63_2. All good and stable! I have two hard drives connected. First is a USB2.0 2 TB EXT4 drive and second is a USB3.0 4 TB NTFS drive. First drive has data (vacation pics, docs, music etc) and second drive is a brand new drive. Also I have installed entware on drive 1 and installed rsync & screen to this drive1.

Problem statement: I want to backup the directory that has the invaluable data (pics, docs, music) to the new drive, so that I have a copy of the data in case I lose one of the drives. Since I sometimes modify the data, I would like to use rsync so that the backup copy stays in sync with the original.

I sshed into RT-AC68U and invoked rsync to copy from source to destination. Soon I realized that I had to log off, which would kill the rsync. Some web searching lead me to two options. Stackexchange link

a. use the nohup option
Code:
nohup rsync --partial -a /mnt/source/data/ /mnt/dest/data/ &

But as soon as I exit the ssh session, the rsync operation stops.

I also tried a variation that I found on the web.
Code:
nohup rsync --partial -a /mnt/source/data/ /mnt/dest/data/ < /dev/null &

b. The second option I tried was the screen option. Using instructions from the stackexchange link above, I detach the screen and exit the ssh session. The rsync operation stops.

Both options should work. But does not work for me. Any ideas on why?

Last edited: