What's new

RT-AC1900P Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

Hello,

The max upload Speedtest shows 6Mbps. When I upload a file from my wired desktop, it maxes out the WAN at 6Mbps. When I try to access the internet from my wireless laptop, tablet, phone, etc. I can not get on the internet. I get a DNS time out. When not uploading, all works fine.

On the RT-AC1900P, I set the custom Web Browsing as the top priority AND file transfer as the lowest priority with the custom Adaptive QoS settings. That does not fix the problem.

I prefer not to limit the upload bandwidth from my Desktop, which is available with another QoS setting.

Any thoughts as to why NO other computer on my LAN can get access to the WAN when uploading?

Dieter

I would venture this could be due to all of the traffic still being identically classed, despite you not thinking it is. If you're sending these uploads through the browser, then the Asus's QoS cannot delineate between the packets from the upload transfer and those of "normal" browsing traffic, as it's all going over the same protocol (HTTP). Additionally, DNS should also be A#1 on the priority list, with an even higher class reserved for it, and/or guaranteed bandwidth as well (TCP&UDP on Port 53). If not, then DNS queries may never get out from and back to other client while your upload is saturating the line.

I know this may not be of interest, but if your WAN speed is lower than 150Mb/s total (download + upload), perhaps DD-WRT or AdvancedTomato would be a better fit for your QoS requirements, as not only can each one do classing, but they can also utilize fq_codel for queueing, which will go an awfully long way towards eliminating blockages, with or without classes specified. Just a thought as an alternative solution.

Try this, DHCP, IP Pool start 192.168.1.100 IP Pool end 192.168.1.254
ASUS by default puts it at 1-254 which can cause problems with devices if you are using Static IP addresses for certain devices and DHCP for others.

Try this, DHCP, IP Pool start 192.168.1.100 IP Pool end 192.168.1.254
ASUS by default puts it at 1-254 which can cause problems with devices if you are using Static IP addresses for certain devices and DHCP for others.
My DHCP is set for 192.168.1.200 - 1.254

I would venture this could be due to all of the traffic still being identically classed, despite you not thinking it is. If you're sending these uploads through the browser, then the Asus's QoS cannot delineate between the packets from the upload transfer and those of "normal" browsing traffic, as it's all going over the same protocol (HTTP). Additionally, DNS should also be A#1 on the priority list, with an even higher class reserved for it, and/or guaranteed bandwidth as well (TCP&UDP on Port 53). If not, then DNS queries may never get out from and back to other client while your upload is saturating the line.

I know this may not be of interest, but if your WAN speed is lower than 150Mb/s total (download + upload), perhaps DD-WRT or AdvancedTomato would be a better fit for your QoS requirements, as not only can each one do classing, but they can also utilize fq_codel for queueing, which will go an awfully long way towards eliminating blockages, with or without classes specified. Just a thought as an alternative solution.

This makes sense. I'm using HTTPS to upload my photos to the website. And my total bandwidth is around 92Mbps.

Are you saying that if my total bandwidth is higher than say 200Mbps, this problem might go away on the Asus stock firmware?

I guess DD-WRT is my next option. I had limited the upload computer to 5Mbps. This also worked. I might just leave it at that for now.

My router is an ASUS RT-AC1900P. Will DD-WRT work with it?
Is DD-WRT the same as the ASUS WRT-MERLIN firmware?
Would the Merlin firmware QoS solve this problem?

Thanks much.

I just tried using the Asus RT-AC1900P's "traditional QoS" option, and limited the upload to 6Mbps and download to 90Mbps. This also works great.

Per Asus, Traditional QoS ensures inbound and outbound bandwidth on both wired and wireless connections for prioritized applications and tasks via manual user-defined parameters. I'll have to read up on what this really means...

If you max out the download or upload of your ISP connection, you'll see the results you're getting (effectively, no internet).

You need to use/set less than the max for both up/down to be able to use more than one device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!