What's new

RT-AC1900P - Prevent device access to WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

Is there a way to prevent a device to access the Internet. Either by filtering out the IP or MAC address of the device, yet still allow access to other servers on the LAN.

I can not find such configurable option in the RT-AC1900P.

If you're running the merlin firmware, you COULD use the parental controls option to disallow internet access 24/7 for the item under it's MAC address.

Glad you mentioned Parental Controls. This option is hidden with the stock firmware under General > AI Protection > Parental Control.
Thanks

Is there a way to prevent a device to access the Internet. Either by filtering out the IP or MAC address of the device, yet still allow access to other servers on the LAN.

I can not find such configurable option in the RT-AC1900P.

I'm curious what router you had previous to this one. As you know it's received the top review of any here on SNB and I've been curious whether upgrading from my AC56R to the 1900P makes sense. Their hardware is very similar though I'd like better throughput and range on 5 gHz then I get now. Thanks

I'm curious what router you had previous to this one. As you know it's received the top review of any here on SNB and I've been curious whether upgrading from my AC56R to the 1900P makes sense. Their hardware is very similar though I'd like better throughput and range on 5 gHz then I get now. Thanks
I had a DLink DIR-655. I cant speak to the AC56R. The RT-AC1900p was a great choice for me. The wifi range is great for my ranch house. It has lots of features which I dont use. At this time, I dont use much of the in-built features, such as QoS, and none of their "USB Application" (USB disk sharing, print sharing, media server, etc.). So it was overkill for me.
I would download the manual of the 1900P and see if you really need all of these features.
Hardware wise it has been rock solid.

Glad you mentioned Parental Controls. This option is hidden with the stock firmware under General > AI Protection > Parental Control.
Thanks
If you're running the merlin firmware, you COULD use the parental controls option to disallow internet access 24/7 for the item under it's MAC address.
I tried the stock firmware parental controls. It seems it locks out WAN and LAN access. I'll keep testing.

Parental controls also prevent LAN access. Not what I want.

Hello. That's not accurate. I also have the RT-AC1900P and the Parental Control Time Scheduling restrictions of the stock firmware only apply to internet access. I can restrict devices and it only affects WAN/Internet connections. I can still access local area network resources from that restricted device and can reach the device over the network during the time restriction period.

Hello. That's not accurate. I also have the RT-AC1900P and the Parental Control Time Scheduling restrictions of the stock firmware only apply to internet access. I can restrict devices and it only affects WAN/Internet connections. I can still access local area network resources from that restricted device and can reach the device over the network during the time restriction period.

Ok, you are correct. It works with computers just fine. I did my testing with a ChromcastAudio and Chromecast. It appears on those two devices, if they don't have internet access, they won't allow connections from the LAN. The Google forum confirmed this. ChromeCast devices report back to Google at all times...

Right. And FYI, there's another (much easier way) to quickly restrict WAN / internet access for individual devices.

From the Network Map main page, select Clients and a Client status will appear on the right.

Select your target device and you will see a details dialog. Enable the slider for Block Internet Access and select Apply.

Much simpler than wading through the AiProtection menu.

Last edited:
Right. And FYI, there's another (much easier way) to quickly restrict WAN / internet access for individual devices.

From the Network Map main page, select Clients and a Client status will appear on the right.

Select your target device and you will see a details dialog. Enable the slider for Block Internet Access and select Apply.

Much simpler than wading through the AiProtection menu.
Thanks very much for this easy procedure.

Now , is there a way to do the opposite, that is, allow WAN access but block LAN access?

Thanks very much for this easy procedure.

Now , is there a way to do the opposite, that is, allow WAN access but block LAN access?

None that I am aware with the stock firmware. It's possible you will need to introduce a separate managed switch into your network to accomplish this. It's an advanced topic and there are threads that deal with this in one way or another.

An example:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac68u-applying-restrictions-to-single-lan-port.37051/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!