What's new

RT-AC3200 wl2 not connecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteedVLX

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC3200 with Merlin 380.58 Accessed with Mac OS X (Country code JP)

Hello! I am glad to find a community to discuss this issue.

First: The wl2 problem is making me crazy. So, I need to ask if anyone is familiar with the issue.

The SSID is broadcast. But, any connection attempt just goes dark... resulting in a network connection error (cannot connect to network)
Everything on the router insists that wl2 is operational... I have checked the valid broadcast channels, cycled through all of the available ones, rebooted multiple times, and checked every other setting I can think to look for.
Additionally, "smart connect" is disabled... Mainly because I have no idea how to use it. And, I have read about so many problems it can cause if you don't know what you are doing.

The wl1 is set up identically, except for the channel. And, wl1 works perfectly.

Any insight into this problem is appreciated.

SteedVLX

JP is a bit funny with 5GHz channels - my guess is you're running out of frequency space, and it's going to a channel that many clients approved for JP can't go... and even then - one has to be patient, as the primary radio likely will land in a good space, but the secondary will most likely land in DFS land - which means that before it transmits, it needs to listen for an extended period of time before it turns on the transmitter... which is why you don't see the second radio - give it some time...

And with JP, you'll never see the upper U-NII3 bands with that region - just isn't there for them...

Another reason why Broadcom's X-Stream architecture is a bit dumb...

403469.jpg

Thanks for that.

I misspoke in my original post that wl2 was the problem... Actually, it was wl3. But, I think you realized that before I did. I am coming from an RT-AC87U. So, I am used to dealing with two heads instead of three.

Checked the compatible channels in System Profile. Then referring to the chart;
I manually assigned the channels wl2=60,40Mhz, Ext=down and wl3=116,80Mhz,Ext=down. based on the provided chart.
Now, if I am in the same room, I can connect to all three heads.
If I go to my office, upstairs... actually sitting less than 6meters away... nothing but the SSID broadcast on wl3. It just won't connect. I get a nice strong signal on wl2, however.
Is the high frequency signal so weak at that short distance?
I have set the output levels to 100%...

For the most part, this is more workable for me. At least we can connect to wl3 while downstairs.

Thanks for the information.

Well well.... It appears that after an hour or so that wl3 is currently accessible from the upstairs room. Excellent signal and fast streaming.

Thanks again for the insight. A little understanding goes a long way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!