What's new

RT-AC5300 vs RT-AC86U (gamer, coming from RT-N66U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kusuri

Occasional Visitor
I've been using an RT-N66U for 5 years now and since my ISP upgraded to 1000 mbps/200 mbps service I've decided to take a look of what new routers are out there and that'd be best as a gamer who cares the most about stuff like pings/bufferbloat etc. I'd like to continue with Asus for the good easy support with my ISP's IPTV etc.

GT-AC5300 is out of the question due to a mixture of price and no Merlin fw support, which, as mentioned, I've been depending on all these years so I can have a simple direct connection between my ISP's ONT and still be able to have VoIP and IPTV working, no bridging/switching required (just the usual IPTV Profile - "ISP name" - LAN4).

So that leaves me with the RT-AC5300, #3 in the ranking or the somewhat recent RT-AC86U, which seems to be ideal to someone who wants a nice, gaming-oriented router that's more affordable.

Should I wait for RT-AC86U review or RT-AC5300 price drop? What are your opinions?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!