What's new

RT-AC5300_386.12_4 update bricked my router (rescue mode worked)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mpsharp

New Around Here
So I was recently plagued by the "kernel: dcd/xxxx: potentially unexpected fatal signal 6" error. Did some searching and saw it was a bug in 12_3. Went through the normal upgrade steps via the HTTP interface which worked great on my RT-AC68U but then I got a suspicious "Please manually reboot" at the end of the RT-AC5300 flash. Sadly it never came back. Tried a hard reset numerous times to no avail. Finally, I tried rescue mode this morning (probably should have gone straight there) using the 12_4 image. Everything is happy again. Guess it was just gremlins in the ether.

When the 'Please reboot manually' message shows. Ignore it. It is disconnected from what the router is actually doing.

Be patient.

Wait for the router to physically reboot.

So I was recently plagued by the "kernel: dcd/xxxx: potentially unexpected fatal signal 6" error. Did some searching and saw it was a bug in 12_3. Went through the normal upgrade steps via the HTTP interface which worked great on my RT-AC68U but then I got a suspicious "Please manually reboot" at the end of the RT-AC5300 flash. Sadly it never came back. Tried a hard reset numerous times to no avail. Finally, I tried rescue mode this morning (probably should have gone straight there) using the 12_4 image. Everything is happy again. Guess it was just gremlins in the ether.
Note: There is a specific discussion thread in the Asus-Merlin subforum discussing the 386.12_x firmware:
If you have issues with that firmware it may help to post direct to that firmware discussion thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!