What's new

RT-AC66R port forward to all ips?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nekrage

New Around Here
Is there a way to forward ports to everyone ip on the local network? Or Do I have to add each ip separately.

Is there a way to forward ports to everyone ip on the local network? Or Do I have to add each ip separately.
For UDP, you could forward to a subnet broadcast address. But that's really useless.

So no, port forwarding is to a specific IP address on your LAN, that being a server that is supporting traffic on a certain "port" that's forwarded. Such as the well known ports for FTP, HTTP, etc.

Port forwarding isn't needed for PCs/hosts that initiate data flows such as FTP clients, HTTP clients (browsers), and certain UDP cases as in VoIP and games, where the router is able to deduce were to send response packets on the LAN even though there's no TCP connection. Thi is the essence of what a router with NAT support must do (NAT=network address translation). Some crummy firmware doesn't do NAT for all situations properly, notably VoIP.

Ok so....2 people on my network play the same game and require the same port forwarded. The router page gives me an error saying the port is already forwarded when I attempt to add the second pc's ip address.

Sooooo......? How was this overlooked?

Ok so....2 people on my network play the same game and require the same port forwarded. The router page gives me an error saying the port is already forwarded when I attempt to add the second pc's ip address.

Nothing was overlooked. It's how TCP/IP works. You cannot have one port forwarded to multiple location. It's like asking for one door to open to multiple rooms at the same time - you would have to discover how to create overlapping parallel universes to be able to do that. :)

Games should not require any port to be forwarded, because they only establish outbound connections. Port forwards are only needed for inbound connections, i.e. if you were running a server hosting games.

Yup hosting games.

Wow....so is it possible to disable the need for port forwarding.

Not if you are hosting games. You will have to see if the game server allows you to specify a different port.

If not, then there's nothing you can do about it. You can't run two game servers on different machines but requiring the same port, since your Internet connection only has one single public IP.

Game software on a PC using an Internet server shouldn't need port forwarding. Port Triggering may sometimes be needed, but normally neither are needed. The PC with the game initiates the (UDP or TCP) flow to the game server and the router is supposed to remember what PC initiated the flow and return packets to that PC. This is, if you will, NAT 101.

Perhaps some crummy WiFi routers don't do this correctly.

The Netgear N900 router can forward the same port ie. 3074 for Xbox to multiple ip address. I have two xbox's 192.168.1.60 & 192.168.1.70, set them up with static IPs and then port forwarded those ports for open NAT on Xbox live. I came across this because lighting fried that router and I bought a ASUS RT-AC66R and it can't forward the same ports to multiple ip address which is very disappointing and might be going back to the store because of this.

The Netgear N900 router can forward the same port ie. 3074 for Xbox to multiple ip address. I have two xbox's 192.168.1.60 & 192.168.1.70, set them up with static IPs and then port forwarded those ports for open NAT on Xbox live. I came across this because lighting fried that router and I bought a ASUS RT-AC66R and it can't forward the same ports to multiple ip address which is very disappointing and might be going back to the store because of this.

This is simply technically impossible. If the Netgear allowed to setup one port forward to two different targets, then it was a bug, and only the first one actually worked.

This is simply technically impossible. If the Netgear allowed to setup one port forward to two different targets, then it was a bug, and only the first one actually worked.

i think technically it would be possible :D, since it would just send the same package to different ip addresses at same port. Ofc, this doesnt allow bidirectional communication with more than one device at the same time. This would only make sense in only rare cases:

- monitoring of an connection on second device
- broadcasting uni directional messages (e.g. update information), where the devices open seperate channel for communication.

i think technically it would be possible :D, since it would just send the same package to different ip addresses at same port.

TCP doesn't work that way. It's a point to point protocol: one source IP and port, and one destination IP and port.

If you had tried dhcp first the xbox's would have each grabbed its own port.

For example on mine:

xbox 1 uses port 39601 UDP
xbox 2 uses port 37911 UDP
xbox 3 uses port 3074 UDP

Now when setting up static ip for the xbox's I could use the same ports without issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!