What's new

RT-AC66R - upgrade from RT-N56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

STSinNYC

New Around Here
Have been running the N56U for several years on Padavan firmware, been very stable and reliable with all our wired ethernet and N 5Ghz devices, printer routing etc. I do some high volume uploading for work, large quantities of digital photos, occasionally videos. Lately a few times it doesn't boot properly, only power light comes on; unplug, replug, then its fine.

Newegg has the RT-AC66R on sale for $90 through today. Scanning some of the threads, many people seem to like it. I see some complain of 5Ghz connectivity problems, printer problems. Interested in your opinions as the price is attractive. We have only one AC device, my LG G2 which I rarely use on wifi due to high battery consumption.

Thanks, Steve

I would be more inclined to consider the better RT-AC56U, even for that price.

The RT-AC66U is a gen 1 AC class device built on RT-N66U hardware and not where I would spend todays money.

I would be more inclined to consider the better RT-AC56U, even for that price.

The RT-AC66U is a gen 1 AC class device built on RT-N66U hardware and not where I would spend todays money.

Interesting you say that. ASUS web site states its a 5th gen for the AC-66 just like the 56U. I recently opted for the 66R over the 56R due to the external antennas and 1750 instead of 1200. (for potentially future faster AC). So far very happy with it. It was only $19 more than the 56U when I got it and $20 less (on sale) than the RT-N66U.

from ASUS website:
"Upgrade to the Next Generation
The ASUS RT-AC66R is a 5th gen dual-band Wi-Fi router, and the launch platform for the new ASUS AiCloud service. Its speed reaches 1.75Gbps, currently the fastest available, utilizing the Broadcom 802.11ac Wi-Fi controller and working in 2.4GHz and 5GHz."

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Did more research and am now working on getting a RT-AC68, then install the Merlin FW.

Thanks for the info. Did more research and am now working on getting a RT-AC68, then install the Merlin FW.
Very good move. You won't regret it: 2 cores cpu, external antennas, 1 usb 3 port, ac standard, ext4 ready if you add an external disk. Just remind that the ac56u would do the same, with the only inconvenient of having internal antennas (2 per band). Having 2 perband would also make it not so fast as the ac68u when using ac.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!