What's new

RT-AC66U negative feedback and security questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr. Strangelove

Occasional Visitor
I have currently have an Actiontec MI424-WR. Yes, I know this is archaic, and I apologize in advance for even mentioning it.
I will be getting an ASUS RT-AC66U to replace this dinosaur, soon.

I have several questions regarding the RT-AC66U.

1) On Newegg, recent feedback seems to be very negative. However, I believe most of the issues (from what I read) are related to the firmware needing updating (immediately). Can anyone comment on the [sudden] rise in negative feedback on the RT-AC66U?

2) Again, on Newegg, several feedback are negative on the FTP, complaining about some servers in Australia, or something like that.
Question: What is the issue with FTP (and Australia), and can it be disabled? Does the Merlin firmware address this issue?

3) On the Actiontec, the firewall security is defined as:

Maximum Security(High)
Inbound Policy: Reject.
Remote Administration settings will override the security inbound policy.
Outbound Policy: Reject.
Outbound access is allowed to the following services: Telnet, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, IMAP, POP3 and SMTP.

Typical Security(Medium)
Inbound Policy: Reject.
Remote Administration settings will override the security inbound policy.
Outbound Policy: Accept.

Minimum Security (Low)
Inbound Policy: Accept.
Outbound Policy: Accept.

Does the RT-AC66U have a similar security setup?
If so, for maximum security, is port 995 included in the outbound access? Are there other settings that must be made to achieve medium/maximum security?

Any information/comments appreciated.

Cheers,
Doc

Last edited:
DS,

I can't speak on the security much but I do know it doesn't use that old "slider" type approach (low/medium/high). There is a tab for the "Firewall" to activate, setting to protect from DOS attacks, etc.. Network Services tab has settings including ability to "block the LAN to WAN packet exchanges and restricts devices....".

There are a variety of settings to disable, filter, set thresholds, intervals, etc. It all depends what area you are working on (LAN, WAN, Wireless, AICloud, USB, Guest Access, Parental Control, and so on). You might want to visit YouTube for GUI videos or the interactive demo GUI here. Maybe that will help with your security questions. I don't stumble into owners who have security issues with this router...it's typically feature/function questions.

Don't waste your time shopping - get this router. I spent hours and hours of due dilligence, then wondering if I should get an ASUS over a traditional brand name. After day 2 installed I felt like like a genius decision maker - great choice.

I've purchased two, just installed the 2nd at my sisters house. They are stout on features, great GUI, and incredible performance. Most importantly, the ASUS team is listening to their customers. They are providing firmware updates every couple months. No other organization does it like these guys. Most companies just provide a firmware fix for a major issue or two. That's not how ASUS rolls, they want it perfect, a beast.

Keep in mind this router has a tremendous amount of features. Any device will have what could be construed as bugs at first. It's just impossible for ASUS to build a product and expose it to every scenario before release. In my opinion. some of these complaining users, including the "early adopters", were deep into the weeds with this router. It sounded like they should be working with Cisco's Enterprise division for their router needs, not a $2 bill router..if you know what I mean.

Mr. Mechanic: "I get a rattle in my new car whenever it's raining....and I'm driving 80MPH, I'm on a gravel road, going downhill, around a curve, with all the windows down, and a trunk full of luggage. Can you fix that rattle?"

Don't worry, you will be fine with this router.

Last edited:
The ASUS router will put yours to shame. Far more features, wireless and wired performance head and shoulders above it.

At this time, the complaints, as I have seen them are three-fold:

• People who got a router with borked firmware right from the start. For some reason, some routers appear to have left ASUS with corrupt firmware; this can be reloaded in recovery mode without returning the router. I don't know how many people have had this happen, but it appears to be at least occasional.
  • People who have not updated the firmware on their router and got one with early firmware. Updating resolves much, if not all of the early instabilities.
  • Finally, people who are experiencing issue that ASUS still needs to work on. Most of these are expert-level settings that ASUS does need to work on, IMO, for those of us who are serious enthusiasts.
Seeing as your Actiontec probably is pretty basic in its settings, I doubt the third point will be an issue for you unless you are going to be tweaking a lot of the expert stuff (QoS, port forwarding, possibly VPN setup). However, I'd also consider saving money and looking at the RT-N56U if you aren't going to be doing a lot of tweaking; its performance should greatly outshine your Actiontec without costing as much, and if your Actiontec currently provides the Wifi range you need, the N56U can only do better.

P.S. A number of reviews on NewEgg are also from people who are so into instant gratification that when they can't get something working quickly, they shoot off a bad review before trying to troubleshoot more; or, their view of their own expertise sometimes exceeds their true expertise. While I don't find the AC66U perfect for my needs yet (there are changes I want to see in updated firmware), it exceeds almost everything on the market, and truly, there is no one perfect router; I've looked.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!