What's new

RT-AC66U with other routers as APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

martylavender

New Around Here
Current hardware

ASUS RT-AC66U router
Netgear WNDR3700v2 router
Netgear WNR2000 router
Netgear GS108T router

All of the rooms in our house have wired ethernet connections.
The AC66U is located in the central part of the house currently. The WNR2000 is setup in the back half of the house as a switch. The WNDR3700 is going to be placed in the first half of the house in the same configuration. The GS108T is in a closet used to connect the majority of the connections that are running from each of the wired rooms.

How I would like the two additional routers to be setup is:

1. As switches
2. As wireless APs

To do this do I simply need to set those two routers up with the same SSID as the main router? Do I need to hide those SSIDs?

I understand that the WNR2000 only supports 2.4Ghz which is fine. Our wireless clients normally connect on the 2.4Ghz channel anyway. Or I should say at least anything that is mobile and would end up in the back half of the house. Anything else that would connect to the 5Ghz channel is immobile or unlikely to move anytime soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I didnt realize that the newer versions of Netgear firmware offer an easy AP setup option. That made it extremely easy to setup.

It isn't a good idea to hide SSID's, by the way, for AP's or any other wireless access points. This can create problems with some wireless clients, and really doesn't add any security.

I left the SSIDs visible on the two that are currently broadcasting. Should each router have its networks on different channels? I read that its a good idea to have them on separate channels rather than the same channel as each other. True?

I left the SSIDs visible on the two that are currently broadcasting. Should each router have its networks on different channels? I read that its a good idea to have them on separate channels rather than the same channel as each other. True?

i use the same SSID and security password, but different channels.

Yes, do use different channels.

I use different SSID's so that I can control what I'm connecting to. That's my preference.

I use the same SSID so it seamless to everyone in the house. The only other SSID that is broadcasting is a guest network that is setup for our oldest child.

I was also reading that wireless signals fall rather than rise so APs should be setup higher instead of lower? Is that true?

I use the same SSID so it seamless to everyone in the house. The only other SSID that is broadcasting is a guest network that is setup for our oldest child.

I was also reading that wireless signals fall rather than rise so APs should be setup higher instead of lower? Is that true?

Yes, you want to get your AP's up into clear air *smile*. My router is sitting on the top shelf of a bookshelf on the back of my computer desk, and covers the entire house from there. Up higher there's less obstructions, too, above most furniture, etc.

Well that would explain why the ASUS still has a hard time especially with the 5Ghz band. Its actually close to the floor. I am planning a complete rewire of the ethernet drops that are in the house. We had another kid and I lost my office to a crib. I need to re-route all of the drops into our closet into a new media box I am installing. I figure that is a good place for the router as well as the closet actually butts up against the living room so that will give good coverage into the living room. Router will end up being mounted in the top corner of the closet.

The WNDR3700 is current sitting on a shelf in the entertainment center but it is mid level....right below waist height. I want to move it up into the top of the entertainment unit, although now thinking about it, I may move it completely into the kitchen since the ASUS will be covering most of the living room with its new position.

The WNR2000 will most likely not broadcast any wireless network as its main purpose really is just to act as a switch in our bedroom as we have several devices that need wired ethernet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!