What's new

RT-AC68U -> AX6000 MESH AI Node to Router Promotion?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darth_stinky

New Around Here
Hi Folks

Looking for what I suspect isn't possible (no tangible results from my search so far) but thought I'd have one last go and post a question.

Lets start with the context:
Mesh setup (RT-AC68U Router, TR-AC68U Node, and Lyra Voice Node)
Wireless bandwidth is fine, not an issue
I've a significant number of wireless devices that would be 'challenging' to update their wireless settings i.e. they are in ceiling spaces, and on the side of our roof, etc..
The dual core CPU on RT-AC68U router hits 100% regularly causing performance issues.
The nature of my network setup VPN Server running on router, encrypted DNS traffic, etc.. will only increase the loading of my router's CPU - hence the upgrade to a AX6000 (with 4 cores)

Question
I wanted to replace the AX6000 as the main router in my mesh network WITHOUT the loss of any of my existing configuration i.e. wireless mesh & associated clients, is it possible?

So Far...
I tried to import the configuration from the RT-AC68U (failed to upload to the AX6000 mostly, uploaded successfully once but setting were gibberish and finally logged a ticket with Asus support who confirmed it wasn't possible)
I tried to add the AX6000 as a node and then promote, but can't see a way to promote a new router/demote the current RT-AC68U main router

Any input greatly received! Thanks in advance.

DS

Manually configure the AX6000 with the same SSID and passphrase as the prior router. Reset the "old" routers and add them as AiMesh nodes. Should work but if it dosen't just use the old AC68U's as access points if wired.

Manually configure the AX6000 with the same SSID and passphrase as the prior router. Reset the "old" routers and add them as AiMesh nodes. Should work but if it dosen't just use the old AC68U's as access points if wired.
Thanks but a number of my wireless clients are doing MAC checking to prevent Access Point inpersonation attacks and IIRC you cant change the MAC of the Wireless interface on the ASUS.

I’d need to re-build and deploy all the OpenVPN configuration (to about 15 devices), rebuild my Dynamic DNS configuration, manually rebuild my DHCP reservation list which is sizeable, and a couple of other settings which are a pain to manually migrate…

DS

You have to redo your entire setup again. No promoting and demoting in AiMesh. Nodes are simply access points or repeaters. No magic there.

Thanks to all that took the time to read & reply.

It was only a slim hope of a silver bullet!

Have a good holiday & @Mods, you can close this thread.

DS

Sorry. Sounds as if you have built a mousetrap. Might be time to ask if you really need all that security and get a life back.