What's new

RT-AC68U hostname conflict

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tried to reboot?
What if you change the password through the web interface?

I use ssh via Terminal on OS X, sometimes when I upgrade the router I have to remove a local ssh (key?) file from my Macbook Pro before I can run ssh against the router again.
Does PuTTy store some local file on your computer?

If nothing else works, I hope you have used John's scripts to save the router configuration, because next step may be to factory reset the router...

1) Is that really your actual router username, or should it rather be "admin"?
2) Remember that everything is case-sensitive - I see you used an uppercase P here when attempting to log in.

I use ssh via Terminal on OS X, sometimes when I upgrade the router I have to remove a local ssh (key?) file from my Macbook Pro before I can run ssh against the router again.
Does PuTTy store some local file on your computer?

If nothing else works, I hope you have used John's scripts to save the router configuration, because next step may be to factory reset the router...
Actually, I figured out that I had made a mistake and the SSH password was different from the webinterface. So I got in and did all of John's suggested changes.

And it worked. Localhost(Samsung) is no more. No more error messages. My thanks to John, Mattil and RMerlin. You have been a great help. Thank again.

Teach me not to login earlier....missed all the fun :)

Glad to hear the conf.add worked!

I have exactly the same issue with my Samsung UE50JU6400:-

Aug 14 14:17:57 dnsmasq-dhcp[580]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.42 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

I've been meaning to give Merlin a try to configure additional DHCP options. Is it pretty painless ?

Regards,
Rob.

You should rather push Samsung to stop being complete idiots requesting DHCP leases with a hostname of "localhost", to be honest.

lol, i have this issue as well, can it be ignored? or it has some impact on the network?

One potential way to work around it for those using my firmware is to create a DHCP static lease, and give it a real name. That name should get used instead of the localhost name the client tries to use.

One potential way to work around it for those using my firmware is to create a DHCP static lease, and give it a real name. That name should get used instead of the localhost name the client tries to use.
RMerlin, Your solution works for me. Samsung Smart TV, RT-N66B, 378.55 SW. All devices but TV name work with auto. Was able to use manual static lease and name the TV on the router. Name on TV doesn't matter. Router uses manual name.

Have same issue with Asus RT-AC87U (Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.378.9529) and Samsung UE40J5510AU "Smart" TV.
What I have tried:
- assign manual IP for TV
- renamed TV on router;
- renamed TV on TV, but localhost is not visible anywhere;
- setup manually IP on TV.

But continue to get messages from router dnsmasq-dhcp[2586]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.9 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

Looks like issue started with latest FW upgrade 3.0.0.4.378.9529 for router that was released 2016/03/08. Will try today Beta version of FW that is available on Asus support page, but not sure if it will help. I have reported issue to Asus support through router tool.

Have same issue with Asus RT-AC87U (Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.378.9529) and Samsung UE40J5510AU "Smart" TV.
What I have tried:
- assign manual IP for TV
- renamed TV on router;
- renamed TV on TV, but localhost is not visible anywhere;
- setup manually IP on TV.

But continue to get messages from router dnsmasq-dhcp[2586]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.9 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

Looks like issue started with latest FW upgrade 3.0.0.4.378.9529 for router that was released 2016/03/08. Will try today Beta version of FW that is available on Asus support page, but not sure if it will help. I have reported issue to Asus support through router tool.

I have the exact same problem, with the added inconvenience that my whole home internet access breaks down after I start streaming using the Samsung TV. I need to reboot my ASUS RT-AC68W each time to get the internet back.
Should I move to Merlin or try with an earlier version of the ASUS firmware ? Did the beta work DT1 ?

I have the exact same problem, with the added inconvenience that my whole home internet access breaks down after I start streaming using the Samsung TV. I need to reboot my ASUS RT-AC68W each time to get the internet back.
Should I move to Merlin or try with an earlier version of the ASUS firmware ? Did the beta work DT1 ?
I just did update for Beta firmware from Official Asus web-site and problem disappear :)

I just did update for Beta firmware from Official Asus web-site and problem disappear :)
After a chat with Raw316 from Asus who was not convinced the beta was a solution, I went the Merlin route. Installed 380.58 and defined a static DHCP lease setting the Hostname as 'SamsungTV' on the router GUI. Worked beautifully (strange how Asus native firmware let's you edit the Hostname too but doesn't take it into account).
Thanks RMerlin, installing your firmware was so easy for a first time user and the DHCP fix took 30s. to implement. All my network problems (internet connection breaking down after streaming through the TV) are solved. I will make a Paypal donation.

You should rather push Samsung to stop being complete idiots requesting DHCP leases with a hostname of "localhost", to be honest.
Now that I fixed the issue thanks to Merlin, have been trying to raise it to Samsung support. After several back and forth, here is their latest answer :
"In regard to your concern, please be informed that the television is not like PC's that you can change the default hostname of the unit."
I am giving up...

Now that I fixed the issue thanks to Merlin, have been trying to raise it to Samsung support. After several back and forth, here is their latest answer :
"In regard to your concern, please be informed that the television is not like PC's that you can change the default hostname of the unit."
I am giving up...

LOL!

"Which is why your engineers should be changing it, or take a Networking 101 course if they don't understand why localhost is not a reasonable hostname"

Loads of manufacturers do this sort of stuff
grab the source throw it on and dont give a second thought to setting it up properly

My worgroup was Lan for a good 10+ years until i got a Canon wired printer
Its got some ancient samba build hard coded to WORKGROUP
which caused me murder until i moved my workgroup to match
which i shouldnt have to do

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!