What's new

RT-AC68U in AP mode - no jumbo frame settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zbig

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I've built my new home network around RT-AC56U in router mode and RT-AC68U in AP mode, both connected to a GbE "backbone". While I can access the "Enable Jumbo Frame" option on the RT-AC56U no problem, the whole "LAN -> Switch Control" tab is now missing from the AC68's interface altogether. While it makes perfect sense not to show "NAT Acceleration" switch for an access point, I'm not sure I'm cool with the jumbo frame option going AWOL as well. I am still totally going to use the AC-68U as a wired Gigabit Ethernet switch and I'd sure like to play with the jumbo frame function. Anyone knows whether it's just lazy coding ("let's just hide this tab in AP mode") or there's some hidden logic behind this? If I'd switch it to the router mode temporarily and then enable Jumbo frames - would it stick while back in the AP mode?

ADDED:
RT-AC68U is at FW version 3.0.0.4.376_1663 (official)

Last edited:
There's no straight answer to your question :(
Considering you have 3 free ethernet ports on your AP, you are able to plug some other devices on those ports and it will work. Although you won't be able to configure Jumbo Frame...And that would be something useful!

I can't tell what will be the MTU in this case, I would expect to be 1500.

On the other hand, even that in theory wlan could support Jumbo Frame, I'm not aware of any vendor that actually allows it. One strong reason against Jumbo Frame on wireless is congestion and collisions caused due to higher time to send require for very large frames...

So, yes, it looks like this is a good question and it makes sense to rise a feature request to Asus.

Yes if you set Jumbo on and then switch to AP mode it should stick. Also, I set it via the following commands on my AC66R which is in AP mode as well:

nvram set jumbo_frame_enable=1
nvram commit
reboot

Use this to show port status:
robocfg show

Thank you, guys. I'll use the telnet command as an interim solution but will raise a request to Asus anyway. From your experience, what would be the best way to do that (best chance of not getting ignored) - their forum, support request web form?

Thank you, guys. I'll use the telnet command as an interim solution but will raise a request to Asus anyway. From your experience, what would be the best way to do that (best chance of not getting ignored) - their forum, support request web form?

Most of the routers config pages are still available but you have to take note of their urls prior to switching to Access Point mode.

For example the Jumbo Frames / NAT Acceleration / STP settings are available if you manually browse to (exchange the address for your router):

http://192.168.200.1/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp

Hope this helps!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!