What's new

RT-AC68U ip/device management?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rahzel

Occasional Visitor
So I have a lot of android devices that go in and out of my house and temporarily get connected to my wireless network. I'm not worried about anyone getting free internet from me or anything like that, what I am concerned about is if this will eventually overload my router with connected devices.
I try to 'forget network' whenever I remember to, but often times I forget.

So my question is, will the router automatically 'forget' remembered devices after a certain amount of time, or do I have to manually do this?

When I go into my router's config, under client list, it only displays the devices currently connected to my router. If I have to manually manage the connected devices, how do I display ALL devices, connected or not?

I am using the stock firmware btw.

Device drops completely when the lease is expired.

System log > DHCP leases

If you want them dropped faster just change the lease time.

LAN > DHCP server > lease time

So I have a lot of android devices that go in and out of my house and temporarily get connected to my wireless network. I'm not worried about anyone getting free internet from me or anything like that, what I am concerned about is if this will eventually overload my router with connected devices.

im a little confused as to what you are trying to achieve and what you are actually worried about

so your saying that you wifi is open and anything can connect , when they leave the area they disconnect and the router has no further part to play , so i dont understand why you are clicking forget network at all

the remembered devices list and credentials is held on the phone and not the router

No my wifi is not open, it's just that I temporarily connect a lot of devices to my network because I fix/build a lot of computers and setup a lot of android TV boxes. Not to mention the devices in my home and the frequent visitors I have. So as you can imagine, I have had A LOT of devices connected to my network.

So basically I was wondering if the devices are remembered by the router, even if they are not currently connected/out of range, if you don't select 'forget network' on the device. I was worried that this would affect performance and was wondering if manual management was needed to remove any remembered devices, because I don't always remember to forget my network.

But from the sounds of it, if they are not currently connected then I should be fine.

I'm not the most educated when it comes to networking stuff, as you may have noticed.

Last edited:
So basically I was wondering if the devices are remembered by the router, even if they are not currently connected/out of range, if you don't select 'forget network' on the device. I was worried that this would affect performance and was wondering if manual management was needed to remove any remembered devices, because I don't always remember to forget my network.

simple answer is no

But from the sounds of it, if they are not currently connected then I should be fine.

yup :)

I'm not the most educated when it comes to networking stuff, as you may have noticed.

we all learn

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!