What's new

RT-AC68U Link Aggregation with Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vagus1978

New Around Here
Have been reading up on Link Aggregation on the RT-AC66U thread ... but so far seems to me that Link Aggregation is problematic or failed for situation where Synology product is involved in the bond.

I will like to check if it has been implemented successfully for AC68U with any of the smart/managed switches in the market?

I currently have a Netgear GS108Tv2 which I have successfully LACP to my Synology 1511+.

I am hoping to LACP from my GS108Tv2 to the AC68U to relieve the last bottle neck from my multiple wireless client (ip-cams) stream to my Synology NAS.

The router doesn't have anything to do with LACP. You need a switch and devices/computers that support it. Synology NAS's work fine with LACP which I currently use myself. You should have everything connected to the switch.

Last edited:
The router doesn't have anything to do with LACP. You need a switch and devices/computers that support it. Synology NAS's work fine with LACP which I currently use myself. You should have everything connected to the switch.

Yes. I already have my 1511+ connected to my HP1810-24G via LACP.
my wireless router is ASUS RT-AC68U connecting to the network via the switch.
as I have a few activities going through the router--> SWITCH==> NAS path:
-3 ip cam via wireless 2.4ghz recording to the nas
-bit torrent via the router to nas
-media server from nas thru my router to my mobile devices and dlna TV around the house.

So....I suppose the bottleneck is between the router and the switch. Am I right?

What is the purpose you are trying to gain by using LACP ?

Yes. I already have my 1511+ connected to my HP1810-24G via LACP.
my wireless router is ASUS RT-AC68U connecting to the network via the switch.
as I have a few activities going through the router--> SWITCH==> NAS path:
-3 ip cam via wireless 2.4ghz recording to the nas
-bit torrent via the router to nas
-media server from nas thru my router to my mobile devices and dlna TV around the house.

So....I suppose the bottleneck is between the router and the switch. Am I right?

What is the purpose you are trying to gain by using LACP ?

Double the current single lane 1gigabit highway between my ac68u and my switch.

The 4 ports of ac68u are effectively a switch anyway... so, it makes sense to connect 2 switches together via LACP.

Wireless ip-cam traffic + internet torrent + wireless media streaming going through the single lan to my smart switch which in turn is connected to synology NAS 1511+ via LACP..... so the bottle neck is at the router <-> switch connection?

If you have all your devices/computers connected to the switch than the LACP should be between your computers/switch. Your Internet connection and your wireless clients can't take advantage of LACP. So I don't see the benefit of creating a LACP connection with the router unless you have devices connected directly to it. If you do, you should bypass it and connect it to the switch. IMHO.

Ditto to ilkevinli. Also note that the wireless part will be acting more like an ethernet HUB instead of a SWITCH, meaning that the devices will have to share the wireless bandwidth, I doubt that your wireless devices even at full speed with saturate the GB link to the switch to your NAS........ Even at with AC clients.....

Torrents at GB? How fast is your internet connection? For a true GB internet connection, I think the AC68U's routing speed maybe a limiting factor, rather than your LACP link......

LACP also acts more like MIMO in wireless terms. For instance, you bridge 2-GB ports together in LACP, you will not be immediately seeing 2GB transfer speed if you just connect a single client and a single stream to your LACP device. For each TCPIP stream from a single client to a single device, LACP will force traffic to a single port, so as to maintain packet ordering. Unless you have multiple clients, all GB speed, transferring at the same time to your NAS. Even than, your speed will probably be limited by you NAS harddisk throughput, way before you hit LACP limit on the dual-GB link.

I don't see that happening even with multiple wireless cams, and internet torrents at this stage. If by chance you have such a need, AC68U is probably the wrong choice anyway........

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!