What's new

RT AC86U or RT AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bg604

New Around Here
I want to add another router to my setup. My house is 3 storeys. I have an AX86U as my main on the middle floor. An AC86U on the top floor and I want to add another router in the basement.

Which one is better to add? Another RT-AC86U or a RT-AC5300?

I am using MOCA adapters to get wired backhaul. Speed is 750/100. 25 devices total.

Another RT-AC86U or a RT-AC5300?

Better get another RT-AX86U or the cheaper version RT-AX86S.

RT-AC86U is almost 6-years old now and won't be getting 388 base firmware.

RT-AC5300 is listed as End-of-Life model and won't be getting any further support.

Better get another RT-AX86U or the cheaper version RT-AX86S.

RT-AC86U is almost 6-years old now and won't be getting 388 base firmware.

RT-AC5300 is listed as End-of-Life model and won't be getting any further support.

I get that. I can get either router for $80 used. For the time being these will be sufficient.

I'm planning on getting an AXE11000 when it gets a price cut.

I think the AC5300 is better but not really sure.

I can get either router for $80 used.

I wouldn't buy RT-AC86U (common hardware issues reported) or RT-AC5300 (old hardware, EoL no support) used.

Either of those for $80 will extend the signal to the basement area 'sufficiently', depending on placement.

I would lean towards the RT-AC86U over the RT-AC5300, myself.

I would lean towards the RT-AC86U over the RT-AC5300, myself.
If it has to be Asus router and not real AP I'd probably go for new RT-AX53U or new RT-AX55 or something similar for 80$ or less.

Those models are also outdated today and nothing that I have experience with.

The RT-AC86U, on the other hand, was the top-performing AC-class router I've ever used.

also outdated today
These are cheap models good for AP or node. They are constantly promoted and supported.
As far as I remember RT-AX53U is Qualcomm and RT-AX55 is Broadcom (like RT-AX56U).
The RT-AC86U, on the other hand, was the top-performing AC-class router I've ever used.
That's right, it was a great router but I wouldn't buy a used one to work as an AP when I can get a new AX for the same price.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!