What's new

Problem with my RT-AC86U and would an RT-AC86U power adapter fit an RT-AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tom M

New Around Here
Hello, I have an ASUS RT-AC86U that I've been running the latest Merlin version on (386.12). About the beginning of October, I get home from work and I noticed that my WiFi wasn't working. I go to my router and noticed that the only light lit is the LAN 4/Port 4 (my apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology, I'm a little rusty when it comes to that - I am also including pictures to show the only light lit on the router itself). I tried to unplug the router for a while, but nothing. I couldn't even access the router with my laptop hardwired into it (ethernet cable).

I went on Amazon and bought another power adapter for it, since I figure I'd give that a try, but still nothing. I forget where, but I read that it may just have overheated (it's been a while since I unplugged it, but did have the router set to reboot every Saturday morning at 4:30am) and would be best to just replace the router altogether. I'm not sure if the router can be saved or not.

Anyways, I've been looking at getting an ASUS RT-AX86U and wondering if it can use the same power adapters as the RT-AC86U?

Thank you

Attachments

• Asus RT-AC86U 1.jpg
    Asus RT-AC86U 1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Asus RT-AC86U 2.jpg
    Asus RT-AC86U 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 26
Hello, I have an ASUS RT-AC86U that I've been running the latest Merlin version on (386.12). About the beginning of October, I get home from work and I noticed that my WiFi wasn't working. I go to my router and noticed that the only light lit is the LAN 4/Port 4 (my apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology, I'm a little rusty when it comes to that - I am also including pictures to show the only light lit on the router itself). I tried to unplug the router for a while, but nothing. I couldn't even access the router with my laptop hardwired into it (ethernet cable).

I went on Amazon and bought another power adapter for it, since I figure I'd give that a try, but still nothing. I forget where, but I read that it may just have overheated (it's been a while since I unplugged it, but did have the router set to reboot every Saturday morning at 4:30am) and would be best to just replace the router altogether. I'm not sure if the router can be saved or not.

Anyways, I've been looking at getting an ASUS RT-AX86U and wondering if it can use the same power adapters as the RT-AC86U?

Thank you

Look at the two adapters, the voltage must be identical, the current must be at least as much as the AX one (can be more but not less) and obviously the plug must be the same. To be extra safe, there should be a little image showing if the tip or ring is positive (likely tip is positive and ring is negative on both, but I always check to be sure). Make sure they're the same in that regard too.

You can try doing a hard factory (WPS) reset on the AC86 but unfortunately your symptoms are common for death of that router.

Is the power cord run in such a way you can't just swap it?

You may be able to dig up a spec sheet somewhere for the AX to see what its power requirements are and compare to your AC adapter.

Last edited:
I go to my router and noticed that the only light lit is the LAN 4

Common hardware failure for this model. A voltage regulator chip burned inside the router.

if it can use the same power adapters

No, new larger size power plug on RT-AX86U. It also comes with different style power adapter.

You may want to see if you can get your router stable again with the following links.

Thank you all. I think I may buy an ASUS RT-AX86U to replace my AC86U and just use the AC86U to tinker with. My question is does the AX86U suffer from the same regulator chip and overheating issues as the AC86U does?

and just use the AC86U to tinker with

Component U335 needs to be replaced, step-down voltage converter, MT3125. Surface mount 3x3mm IC for about $1.50 + shipping from China. If nothing else burned with it the router will come back alive.

Last edited:
Thank you all. I think I may buy an ASUS RT-AX86U to replace my AC86U and just use the AC86U to tinker with. My question is does the AX86U suffer from the same regulator chip and overheating issues as the AC86U does?
Don't even look and the AX86U (older model), ONLY consider the NEWER / AX86U PRO model.

AT: $207US

The older model is even more expensive right now for some unknown reason at $270US:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!