What's new

RT-AC87U and re-booting and 933-L D-Link Cams

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FalconYT

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I recently went from the original Linksys WRT1900AC to the RT-AC87U 2400. I have been running it for a few weeks.. I have noticed a strange issue that I did not have during my usage of the WRT1900AC. I noticed my D-Link 933L cameras status LED's are going red. If I recycle power on the cameras they re-connect and work normally. Now I can re-create this issue if I manually re-boot the ASUS AC87U, the cameras go red and stay red and never re-connect. Never had this issue before. (re-cycling power on the cameras allows them to connect)

When I look in the router log it says up for a number of hours, this last round was uptime of 12 hours. So it would be safe to say it is re-booting. It has no listing for online for days. (no power outages here and it's on a UPS anyways)

They are connecting on 2.4Ghz on the highest channel possible 11.. (Wifi Anylizer says we'd be completely in the clear on channel 14 but that selection isn't available.) Either way most of the surrounding 2.4Ghz access points from the neighbors are using 6 or 1 it seems.... Also with AC87U I notice on my original iPad one.. When unlocking it, there is no wifi bars.. Wait a second and the bars actually appear.. I have not seen this with the WRT1900AC either. With that router it's been instantaneous.

Tried tripping them with the microwave running, nope doesn't interfere. Cordless phones are Dect and not in the frequency range.

Would there be any suggestions for a fix, I like ASUS products but I can say I don't have these issues on my original Linksys. My router is running the latest 9177 firmware and the cameras are running the latest 1.12 firmware for D-Link.

Thanks..

Hello,

I recently went from the original Linksys WRT1900AC to the RT-AC87U 2400. I have been running it for a few weeks.. I have noticed a strange issue that I did not have during my usage of the WRT1900AC. I noticed my D-Link 933L cameras status LED's are going red. If I recycle power on the cameras they re-connect and work normally. Now I can re-create this issue if I manually re-boot the ASUS AC87U, the cameras go red and stay red and never re-connect. Never had this issue before. (re-cycling power on the cameras allows them to connect)

When I look in the router log it says up for a number of hours, this last round was uptime of 12 hours. So it would be safe to say it is re-booting. It has no listing for online for days. (no power outages here and it's on a UPS anyways)

They are connecting on 2.4Ghz on the highest channel possible 11.. (Wifi Anylizer says we'd be completely in the clear on channel 14 but that selection isn't available.) Either way most of the surrounding 2.4Ghz access points from the neighbors are using 6 or 1 it seems.... Also with AC87U I notice on my original iPad one.. When unlocking it, there is no wifi bars.. Wait a second and the bars actually appear.. I have not seen this with the WRT1900AC either. With that router it's been instantaneous.

Tried tripping them with the microwave running, nope doesn't interfere. Cordless phones are Dect and not in the frequency range.

Would there be any suggestions for a fix, I like ASUS products but I can say I don't have these issues on my original Linksys. My router is running the latest 9177 firmware and the cameras are running the latest 1.12 firmware for D-Link.

Thanks..
My cameras(Vivotek), printers all have fixed ip address. They never get lost.

My cameras(Vivotek), printers all have fixed ip address. They never get lost.
I put static IP addresses on the cameras and they have always run that way. This is a recent issue since the RT-AC87U. I don't understand why the cameras just do not re-connect even if the router re-boots itself. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues using the D-Link MyDlink cameras with ASUS routers..

Interesting that you should post this, Falcon. I have 6 x DCS-942L cameras which were all working fine on my RT-AC66U router, but since I upgraded to the RT-AC87U I've been seeing the same problem. It seems to be random with them, but at least 2 cameras a day are going offline. I have static IPs on all of them and it makes no difference, as you say. I've been thinking it was a D-Link problem and was ready to take a few of them back, but now you've got me wondering. My router is on the 9177 build too, and the cameras (though different to yours) a on the 2.10 D-Link formware..

Interesting that you should post this, Falcon. I have 6 x DCS-942L cameras which were all working fine on my RT-AC66U router, but since I upgraded to the RT-AC87U I've been seeing the same problem. It seems to be random with them, but at least 2 cameras a day are going offline. I have static IPs on all of them and it makes no difference, as you say. I've been thinking it was a D-Link problem and was ready to take a few of them back, but now you've got me wondering. My router is on the 9177 build too, and the cameras (though different to yours) a on the 2.10 D-Link formware..

Well it's nice to know I'm not losing it... Yes it has been totally random, I do not have interference with wireless devices in my home. I'd look at the cameras and wham, the LED's would be RED. Then I would recycle power and they would re-connect. I would check the router log and the router would be up for hours, not days. The last straw was the other day and the router was up for a day and 5 hours and I'm like ok well that's better and then wham, they went red a short time after. However, the router did not reboot. This is on the 2.4Ghz frequency.... My laptop which was on 5Ghz did not seem to disconnect. It was literally to unstable for me after two weeks of trying to narrow it down.. Nothing worked for me.. (I also went backwards to older firmware from ASUS and tried Merlins) So here you go, I went back to my WRT1900AC Linksys and guess what no problems, no disconnections and everything ran as it did before the ASUS router. I just wanted to go back to a Asus product and I liked the idea of the built in TrendMicro protection and ASUS and Merlin updates to the firmware. Unfortunately in this case it was a waste of money for me. Unless they come out with a firmware update for the router that magically fixes this. I'm going to stay with my linksys for the time being. It has always worked since I first bought it with zero issues. Oh and by the way the last ASUS router I had before the Linksys product was a RT-AC66U as well and had zero problems with it. However this RT-AC87U has just been flat out unreliable for me. I'm no engineer but I can go through process of elimination and was unable to eliminate the problem, other than the problem is within the RT-AC87U. Also I checked all my D-Link products and all have the newest firmware as well. I do not think in this case it has anything to do with the D-Link wireless products or DVR's or I could re-produce everything with my WRT1900AC. So the end result is I'm back on the original Linksys and I have been up and rock solid.. Oh and I use my RT-AC66U as an additional access point to extend my network and it's still rock solid too.. Maybe we just got a couple lemon ASUS RT-AC87U products, I'm sure it happens as with anything...

If you still have your Linksys WRT1900ac - might want to put it back into service, and kick the RT-AC87U to the curb...

I don't post the last comment in a mean-spirited sort of way - just note that the 87U stability is a key concern for many...

I don't post the last comment in a mean-spirited sort of way - just note that the 87U stability is a key concern for many...

Yeah it's been removed, leaving the Linksys setup in place for the time being. Maybe they will be able to firmware fix the 87U, guess time will tell.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!