What's new

RT-AC87u battery drain

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NolanW

New Around Here
Hi,

So the battery drain and overall stability of the 5ghz wifi of this router seems to be really bad... I've disabled beamforming, but that doesn't really seem to help. I'm running the latest stable build.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this? I'm heavily debating getting rid of this router.

If your in the USA just trade it in on Amazon or sell it. I also think Best Buy takes trade ins as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait for Quantenna to finally fix the issue. Last I heard, they were STILL working on it...

I know that isn't why we puchased AC routers but sometimes it take a while to work out bugs and features, but you don't have to use 5 GHz on the moble devices that have the battery drain, just use the 2.4 Ghz band plus you getter better coverage with 2.4 Ghz .

When asus made some new router i'm expecting to work as they promised in their brochure and specification. If the they have some limition they have to anounced or to place remarks.
I don't understand how they sell some product on the market and after that they try to resolves all the problems with the product. How they test the product? Just turn it on and say "o.k. it's working".. is this is a joke for this big company, also this reviews of cnet and others..how they test the product just for hour or two to give all this stars for the product.. this is redicuouls.

I have faith on Merlin to do his magic and to resolve most of the problems otherwise most of the users of asus routers has to change the brand.

When asus made some new router i'm expecting to work as they promised in their brochure and specification. If the they have some limition they have to anounced or to place remarks.
I don't understand how they sell some product on the market and after that they try to resolves all the problems with the product. How they test the product? Just turn it on and say "o.k. it's working".. is this is a joke for this big company, also this reviews of cnet and others..how they test the product just for hour or two to give all this stars for the product.. this is redicuouls.

I have faith on Merlin to do his magic and to resolve most of the problems otherwise most of the users of asus routers has to change the brand.

The battery drain issue didn't exist at launch time. It appeared a few months ago as Quantenna were working on other issues.

Wait for Quantenna to finally fix the issue. Last I heard, they were STILL working on it...

I'll be patient (I don't want to spend the money just yet. If it's not fixed in a few months, then I'll ditch it) . In the mean time I'm using 2.4 Ghz, seems to be working fine. Any ideas how long something like this could take? Also, I saw a post saying that the wifi drain is partially fixed here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/official-rt-ac87u-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-378-9383.29079/

So it seems like they are making some progress on it, albeit rather slowly.

Thanks Merlin for all you do!

For those of you with WiFi drain on the 5 GHz band using Android devices, there is an issue in the Android bug tracker which might be of some use to you, it doesn't seem like a problem limited to just this model router: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197460

Thanks for your post, but I'm using Android 5.1.1 long time ago and i just switched from rt-n66u to ac87u. Before that I don't have that problem.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk