What's new

RT-AC87U Dual WAN Issues and WAN drops..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spiritfly

New Around Here
First of all let me express my great disappointment of this product. I'm coming from a custom pfsense router which had dual wan setup and ran like nothing I've ever had before! So many options, customizations and stuff.. I've decided to get this Asus because I needed an upgrade to my wifi to AC. I figured since I was going to buy a router and use it as an access point I may just buy a router with dual wan and AC and use that instead. I was so wrong in my judgement. If I knew that Asus had their "thing" they call dual wan in this not even beta stage on these routers, I would've get the netgear ac2400 or tp-link. At least they had a bit more of a range in their wifi which was my primary reason to get this router.

Now I must say that everything was working in failover dual wan mode for a while when one day it just said no. My primary connection dropped in the router even though the connection was active when I checked it by connecting my laptop directly to the modem. Since then I was struggling to get it "right". I must say that everything was working perfectly well and no drops have been noticed before with the stock firmware for months since I bought it. Then since this first drop, I tried what now: restarting the router, reseting the router and configuring it again, switching the ports of both of the WAN connections (WAN and 4th LAN).. It was always with the same result, the same connection was dropped all of the time. I checked with my ISP and they said they never did anything and confirmed that everything is working properly on their side. I switched to single WAN and left the one internet connection that was refusing to connect and again same thing. Then I decided to upgrade my firmware. I upgraded to the latest stable: 3.0.0.4.378.6065 and it was still the same. I upgraded to the beta 3.0.0.4.378.6117 again same thing. Then I decided to try the previous 3.0.0.4.378.5134 and suddenly a connection can be made to that troubling ISP. However it was dropping every few seconds(switching to the second WAN in the process) and then reconnecting again for a while and all of that in a loop. After I switched to a single WAN only and left the troubling connection on the WAN port only, things worked as normal. Everything is very strange, but I lost 3 days battling with this and I'm sick of it. It is clear that the reason for all of this is the Asus router and it's "dual wan".

Besides the options that the "dual wan" offers are a joke. With Pfsense I can configure any client on the network to be either load balancing, failover (wan1-wan2) or failover (wan2-wan1). I can also set a default mode for the whole network. With this asus I can only either choose failover or load balancing(only one way) as default.

I think that too little attention has been given to this dual wan feature, especially in the firmware. What I find funny though is that it's being advertised as DUAL WAN ROUTER! Why do you advertise a feature that doesn't even work?!? Now what am I supposed to do with my expensive router Asus?? Should I throw it in the trash? I really don't have the time to be your beta tester when I paid WAY too much for this piece of equipment. When I pay for something offering a feature I expect it to work? If it is still work in progress then don't sell it as such! I never do bad reviews, but I'm really tempted to make a video review on my tech blog and bash Asus for this terrible product! They honestly deserve it for lying about it!

This is not an Asus board. Call Asus.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but I felt that I should lay off that of my chest here since it's clear that it's firmware related. I'm sorry if I've been a bit harsh in my OP, all of my anger goes to Asus as a company, but I also wanted to describe the kind of issues I'm having with the Dual Wan feature and maybe it should be addressed a bit more in next firmwares, that's all.

Oh, sorry mate, I didn't realize that. The admins can delete my thread then and please excuse me for my ranting. I do want to remain a member here though, I think it can be beneficial in both directions of course. :)

Moving the thread to the Asus AC sub-forum.

I'm on my second RT-AC 87u now, first one went dead after a month. New one in guarantee. I've installed it as an access point now. If you want to have real dual wan? Go for a Fortigate model, they are expensive, but you can configure this unit as you like. But it isn't a pnp model, you'll have to struggle yourself threw some manuals and 'cookbooks'.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!