What's new

RT-AC88U wan speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keydam

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I recently had a fiber connection in my house, up to 1Gbps. I never had to worry about wan speed before because my ISP's speed was too slow, but I may have a problem now : if I plug a RJ45 cable on the RT-AC88U and do a speed test, I get 318Mbps (download). If I plug the same cable on my ISP's modem and do the same test, I get 934Mbps (see attached picture).

The ISP's modem and the RT-AC88U are linked by the wan port.

I made differents tests with differents cables, and I'm the only one at home while testing.

Does anyone have a clue on why I'm not getting the same result when plugged on the RT-AC88U ? Is there some kind of limitation somewhere ?

Damien

PS : if some terms are poorly choosed, excuse my english it's not my first language

Attachments

• Collage_2023-09-06_20_53_35.jpg
    Collage_2023-09-06_20_53_35.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 47
Is there some kind of limitation somewhere ?

Yes - Administration, Privacy, Withdraw data sharing agreement. This will stop all TrendMicro services. Disable QoS. Try again your speedtests, use wired PC. Your router has Gigabit ports, but not Gigabit capable hardware with specific firmware features enabled. End-of-Life model also.

Thx, I disabled it but it didn't realy improve the performances.
I see that some people recommand to factory reset and redo the configuration from scratch .. I think I'll try.

Your router in light configuration will do 940Mbps wired and about 500Mbps on wireless close to the router to common 2-stream AC client.

Thx, I disabled it but it didn't realy improve the performances.
I see that some people recommand to factory reset and redo the configuration from scratch .. I think I'll try.

The AC88U is EOL and no longer supported by Asus. Maybe time for an upgrade if possible.

Your router in light configuration will do 940Mbps wired and about 500Mbps on wireless close to the router to common 2-stream AC client.

Network conditions perfect, an ac88u can do about 89MB/s on 5Ghz which is a little over 700Mbit/s on wireless.

Well I know it's not exactly the purpose of my thread, but do you have any advice if I decide to replace my router ? Any model I should look into ?

Network conditions perfect, an ac88u can do about 89MB/s on 5Ghz which is a little over 700Mbit/s on wireless.

It can do more than that with a 3 stream client, and a lot less with a 40mhz 2 stream or single stream client. That statement is too generic.

In reality, 700M on 2 stream AC (866M link rate) is theoretically possible but it isn't going to happen. 500-600 is a pretty reasonable expectation on wifi (near the router, without major interference and an 866M link rate).

Well I know it's not exactly the purpose of my thread, but do you have any advice if I decide to replace my router ? Any model I should look into ?

Your router, if not defective, can handle gig fine (unless you want gig over wireless, which it can't do). Upgrade to the latest firmware, hard factory reset, MINIMAL config from scratch (not a backup) and see how it performs. Wired should be able to saturate your gig connection or at least close to it (940 to 950M is the best a gig can do due to overhead). On wifi, 500 to 600M is possible depending on a few factors.

The only thing I'd recommend changing after the factory reset is under wireless professional settings disable "universal beamforming" on both bands. But even before that, you should be able to get much better speeds than what you're seeing, especially on wired (obviously, since that setting doesn't impact wired).

Your router, if not defective, can handle gig fine (unless you want gig over wireless, which it can't do). Upgrade to the latest firmware, hard factory reset, MINIMAL config from scratch (not a backup) and see how it performs. Wired should be able to saturate your gig connection or at least close to it (940 to 950M is the best a gig can do due to overhead). On wifi, 500 to 600M is possible depending on a few factors.

The only thing I'd recommend changing after the factory reset is under wireless professional settings disable "universal beamforming" on both bands. But even before that, you should be able to get much better speeds than what you're seeing, especially on wired (obviously, since that setting doesn't impact wired).
OK I'll definitely try.
Just to be sure, by "factory reset" you mean this button ?

1694075947735.png

OK I'll definitely try.
Just to be sure, by "factory reset" you mean this button ?

View attachment 52906

That's a soft reset, and may very well work, in fact some people do both the hard and soft reset. The hard reset procedure for your router is method 1 at this link:

For the heck of it do the hard reset first then the soft reset (make sure to check off that box to initialize settings). That way you're sure everything is cleared out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!