What's new

Asus updates its EOL list, adds RT-AC1750, AC1900P, AC88U, AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yota

Very Senior Member
This update adds quite a few AC (WiFi5) devices.

Basically, variants of the most classic model RT-AC68U have entered the EOL list, such as RT-AC1900P, and RT-AC1750 of RT-AC66U_B1.

RT-AC3100, RT-AC3200, RT-AC68U_V4, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300 and even RT-AX92U have all entered the EOL list.

Rmerlin said it is very likely that the RT-AC68U will be added to the list in the future:
The next 386 release will mark the end of the road for multiple models. Asus just added the RT-AC88U and RT-AC5300 to their EOL list, so 386.12 will most likely be the last GPL merge for most 386 models. Local stores are also getting rid of RT-AC66U_B1 inventories at less than half their regular price, so I suspect the RT-AC68U might be next on the chopping block.

So I guess it's time to say goodbye to AC models.

Check out the EOL list here: https://www.asus.com/event/network/eol-product/

EDIT: Fixed some mistakes in this post. (Thanks to @Tech9 for pointing out that)

Last edited:
We saw this coming.

When the RT-AX86U was reported to not get the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware by RMerlin earlier this year, it was inevitable that AC class equipment would be depreciated quickly.

I'm surprised that the RT-AX86U isn't EOL too. It should be with no access to the latest firmware, IMO.

I guess Asus has a lot of inventory to sell still.

We saw this coming.

When the RT-AX86U was reported to not get the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware by RMerlin earlier this year, it was inevitable that AC class equipment would be depreciated quickly.

I'm surprised that the RT-AX86U isn't EOL too. It should be with no access to the latest firmware, IMO.

I guess Asus has a lot of inventory to sell still.
surprising - there was a time not too long ago these were overpriced hen's teeth

It should be with no access to the latest firmware, IMO.
3006 firmware doesn't imply that 388 will no longer get developed. Out of the dozens of routers Asus sells, only a small number are getting moved to the 3006 codebase. 3004_388 will still be developed and maintained.

For many years Asus has had that parallel development pipeline. Not being on 3006 does not mean "not being on the latest firmware", it simply means "not having the new features unique to BCM4912/BCM4916 models".

382 and 384 co-existed in parallel for well over a year, for example, as only AiMesh-capable products were on 384, everything else was on 382.

RT-AX56U_V1 is in the EOL list too.
and RT-AX92U
IMHO RT-AX68U and and maybe RT-AX86U and many models based on RT-AX58U V1 (RT-AX3000, RT-AX82U, GS-AX3000 etc.) will join soon.

@RMerlin, maybe not in the short term, but the writing is on the wall.

Having just security updates and fewer features is acceptable for some users. For the ones that want a long-term router with the best performance, the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware models are the future.

I could agree to buy an RT-AX86U today for $100 or less, for example. Anything more is just wrong on many levels. Foremost being that while a powerful model, it is not a good choice when the price of newer models that will get the 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware is as good or better.

For the ones that want a long-term
If you want new features in the long term, then don`t buy an embedded device, and build a pfsense box.

You buy an embedded device for the feature sets that are available at the moment you buy it, not in the hope of maybe getting new features 2-4 years down the road.

I could agree to buy an RT-AX86U today for $100 or less, for example.
Why would the RT-AX86U be sold at a lower price than lower end models that are newer and cost more than that? You are being unrealistic here. If you want to spend $100, then get a $100 router, like the RT-AX55U.

The RT-AX86U is currently placed where it should be within the product stack. It`s more expensive than an RT-AX58U, but less expensive than an RT-AX88U_Pro. Specs-wise, it fits precisely between the two.

A pfSense box can't offer what Asus does. Excellent WiFi. Nor can it do it as effortlessly either. I've tried pfSense and I may try it again, but that won't stop me from buying Asus routers either.

I'm not expecting new features. I'm expecting continued firmware updates for the best performance in the future as WiFi evolves (as it has continually until now).

I'm not being unrealistic at all. I'm evaluating the product based on the new/current information available.

I don't play the marketing game. I play the model which gives the best bang for the buck for the longest (expected) time frame.

Asus may be pricing things as other people expect them to.

I have my own criteria. Based on all the products available today.

Fitting between the product models is not a measure of the worth of a product (ever).

Chasing a goal of always dumping hardware (or software for that matter) before you 'think' it might be discontinued soon leads to a lot of wasted time, money, and stress. I will replace my AX86U when it stops working or is listed as EOL. For my use case the new features aren't worth a new router purchase. People every year jump ship from Firefox saying the "the end is nigh". Well they were doing that when I was in grad school in 2008, and people are still doing that today (not to imply a router will have the lifespan of a browser, just saying you can't know when the end is till it comes).

Nobody said to dump the hardware you have already. :)

I too am continuing to use my RT-AX86U as the main router until I won't.

I don't want that either, but it's done.

Only time will show the real successor of the RT-AC68U.

I believe that model today is the GT-AX6000. Better in every way over the the former, and less effective cost too.

Honestly, if they EoL the AX86U anytime soon I’ll probably just switch my ISP gateway out of bridge mode. Kind of getting sick of ASUS’ shenanigans after using their routers, motherboard and graphics cards for years.

Too bad. I had hoped for one more release for the ac3100 since they released one for the ac68u. There is still DD-WRT and fresh tomato though to tide me over. I have an edgerouter, so I’m not using them as the main router, just APs and bridges.

A pfSense box can't offer what Asus does. Excellent WiFi. Nor can it do it as effortlessly either. I've tried pfSense and I may try it again, but that won't stop me from buying Asus routers either.

Try OpenWrt instead. It's very actively developed and supports many devices, including all-in-one routers with WiFi, with up to date Linux kernel (!) and components.

It's fully open source, it has a huge software repository, without the need to rely on Entware, an active community of developers who provide many addons, a helpful and lively forum and devices continue being supported and updated for a very, very long time, basically until the hardware can keep up with new releases. With a current new device you'd be looking at over 10 years of support, it's more likely that you'd want to buy something new as a hardware upgrade before your current device becomes unsupported.

VLANs and multiple SSID's are fully supported and you don't get any of the limitations of AsusWrt based firmware, like a maximum number of entries on lists, /24 subnets only and the like. You can truly configure your router to your heart's content.

I haven't looked back since I switched to it and I'm extremely happy with it.

If I ever have a moment to myself, I may try OpenWRT in the future. Thanks for the glowing review.

However, there is nothing that is pushing me away from Asus/RMerlin today.

If I ever have a moment to myself, I may try OpenWRT in the future. Thanks for the glowing review.

However, there is nothing that is pushing me away from Asus/RMerlin today.

You're welcome, and, just to clarify, mine wasn't a shameless plug for OpenWrt as nobody has anything to gain from people using it or not, it's free and open source router software developed and supported by a community of volunteers.

I'm just very happy with it and I only wish I had switched to it earlier.

2xNetgear WNDR3700v2 (<$100) bought in 2010 first (1st was given to parents, 2nd bough in ~2012) + OpenWRT both are still in function, no VLAN headache that I have currently with AX88U.
I was thinking to by Netgear next, but their availability limited currently in my country. Had to by ASUS.
OpenWRT had torrents downloader, HDD over USB, VPN servers (with ICMP knocking), VPN client, USB Printer sharing, client to USB-to-Serial to UPS, ... till equipment were expanded and most of resource consuming roles moved from OpenWRT.

Last edited: