What's new

RT-AX56U end of life

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ninko

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have two RT-AX56U routers running as nodes, but have recently heard firmware support for them is ending.
Should I upgrade them to something else, if so, what would be a good replacement?

Thanks

Hi,
I have two RT-AX56U routers running as nodes, but have recently heard firmware support for them is ending.
Should I upgrade them to something else, if so, what would be a good replacement?

Thanks
If they still work as AiMesh nodes then I don't see why you would want to change them yet. Wait until they stop working and there'll be something better and cheaper available than there is today.

If they still work as AiMesh nodes then I don't see why you would want to change them yet. Wait until they stop working and there'll be something better and cheaper available than there is today.
Should I be worried about security when they will no longer be updated?

If they're only being used as AiMesh nodes and you're using them in a home environment then there's very little to be worried about.
They are yes.
Is this not a good time to upgrade at the moment then? I've not really been keeping an eye on the world of routers for awhile.

Is this not a good time to upgrade at the moment then?

WiFi 6e and WiFi 7 are coming down the pike pretty fast. If you upgrade now, you are faced with a choice of buying gear that will seem obsolete in a year or two, or paying top dollar for the latest barely-even-available shininess. I wouldn't upgrade now if your current devices are still serving your needs fine.

Is this not a good time to upgrade at the moment then?

You have 2x perfectly usable access points or repeaters depending on that type AiMesh you have - wired or wireless. If you really insist spending money for nothing - no one can stop you. The best AiMesh configuration is wired with all the same model routers. The best "mesh" is not AiMesh.

Upgrade when your current devices can't do something you want them to. What is it that they're lacking at the moment?

Of course if you just want to spend money for the sake of it, why not. Maybe you have spare cash at the moment but think you won't in the future.

WiFi 6e and WiFi 7 are coming down the pike pretty fast. If you upgrade now, you are faced with a choice of buying gear that will seem obsolete in a year or two, or paying top dollar for the latest barely-even-available shininess. I wouldn't upgrade now if your current devices are still serving your needs fine.
Point taken, I'll wait it out I think.

Thanks all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!