What's new

RT-AX58U V1 vs RT-AX59U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Terepin

Occasional Visitor
Because I couldn't find any direct comparison, I'll try to ask here. My sister needs new router and I'm thinking of giving her my RT-AX58U and replacing it with RT-AX59U. Its compact design would certainly be useful for my cramped desk, but that's not why I buy a router. Could you give me pros/cons comparison between them?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @Terepin.

The RT-AX58U was the most troubled Asus router I have bought/used. The RT-AX59U isn't much better (from reading the forums here).

I would suggest keeping your working model in your network and getting something else/better for your sister.

The RT-AX68U is the lowest model I would consider (if you can find it still available, and on a good sale).

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Problem is my sister has limited budget and currently the RT-AX58U V2 is on sale for 77,50 €, which is a steal in my opinion.

Your call, of course. But who it's a steal for is up for debate. ;)

I mean, if you know a better model for the same price, I'm all ears. Besides, I never had any problem with my model. At least none that I am aware of. A bit OT, but what were common issues with 58U?

if you know a better model for the same price, I'm all ears. Besides, I never had any problem with my model.

I used the RT-AX58U for over a year and it worked very good for me never had a issue and got top speeds with it using AC wifi adapters and phones. Even better if you AX devices. There is nothing wrong with this budget friendly router if you just need good wifi for surfing and streaming.

Same here. I'm living in a flat, so is my sister, so 58U is more than enough to cover it. Anything stronger would be an overkill.

I use RT-AX59U daily, and, in my environment, it works much better than RT-AX58U that it replaced. You can google for RT-AX59U reviews, this is indeed a pretty fast router given its price. AX58UV1 is based on an obsolete SoC version which is no longer produced, while AX59U uses a more recent and faster MediaTek FileLogic 830 SoC. If I were to choose between these two model, RT-AX59U is definitely my choice. The only problem is that the current firmware version is a bit buggy in some regions, but looks like they are already rolling out an updated version for affected MediaTek-based models.

I mean, if you know a better model for the same price, I'm all ears. Besides, I never had any problem with my model. At least none that I am aware of. A bit OT, but what were common issues with 58U?

The issues that I saw were laggy network performance (wired and wireless, when the RT-AX58U was put into the network via wired backhaul AiMesh), unreliable performance, particularly around firmware update times, and just a general lack of network dependability (it would frequently need rebooting to be as fast as it could be). Not to mention the laggy GUI.

With the RT-AX58U out of my network, the difference was astounding. Noticeably less lag, perfect reliability, and a network that I could depend on again.

Were those issues fixed in V2? My sister is only using internet for IPTV, VOD and web browsing. And some light gaming on a phone. I am a gamer, but I am using LAN connection, wireless is used only for phones, TV, Chromecast and printer. Would me getting the V2 and her getting the V1 be a better choice considering our use scenarios?

Is V2 satisfactory in this regard?
It is still slower than the quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 CPU in Filogic 830. Another benefit is that AX58U is 2x2:2, while AX59U is 3x3:2. It is not 3x3:3, but still better than 2x2:2 - routers with more spatial streams are always better, since even for 2x2 clients, they can use the remaining spatial streams for beamforming.

BTW, here is another post from the AX58U user who switched to TUF4200 (which is almost identical to AX59U in terms of hardware) and is very happy with the speed.

Last edited:
But isn't TUF4200 a true 3x3 model?
No. 3x3:2 like RT-AX59U.
Were those issues fixed in V2? My sister is only using internet for IPTV, VOD and web browsing. And some light gaming on a phone. I am a gamer, but I am using LAN connection, wireless is used only for phones, TV, Chromecast and printer. Would me getting the V2 and her getting the V1 be a better choice considering our use scenarios?
If you are happy with RT-AX58U v1 you probably won't notice a difference in performance between RT-AX58U v2 and RT-AX59U.
You can buy the cheaper one.

PS: RT-AX59U will have OpenWRT support.

Ok, last question: does anyone know if AX-58U is close to EoL, seeing as 56U is already dead?
Given that we have V2 now, I don't think that its EOL is closer than for any other mainstream AX model like, for example, AX82U. On the other hand, RT-AX59U is a much newer model and was from start released with 388 firmware, so we can speculate that RT-AX59U EOL will be after RT-AX58U.

so we can speculate that RT-AX59U EOL will be after RT-AX58U
It's pure lottery.
We can as well speculate that RT-AX59U will be on the EOL list sooner because Asus supports Broadcom longer than Mediatek ;)
The advantage of RT-AX59U may be the support of Openwrt (especially after obtaining EOL status).

PS: RT-AX56U is not dead, it still works and may continue to do so for a few several years (if no important security bugs appear).

Last edited:
You guys put a bug into my head. :p So between TUF-AX4200 and RT-AX59U, what is the actual, real world difference?

So between TUF-AX4200 and RT-AX59U, what is the actual, real world difference?
Design, marketing, WAN port (2,5 GbE vs 1 GbE), flash memory (you can skip it).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!