What's new

RT-AX58U V1 vs RT-AX59U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Problem is my sister has limited budget and currently the RT-AX58U V2 is on sale for 77,50 €, which is a steal in my opinion.

Just get the router. Your sister doesn't care what model the router is anyway. RT-AX58U V2 is good enough for the needs.

The same hardware router with some unlocked features on the 5GHz radio. RT-AX58U/AX3000, RT-AX82U, RT-AX5400, TUF Gaming AX3000/AX5400, ROG Strix AX3000/AX5400 are all the same hardware routers with different marketing. Some of them have newer V2 version with 4-core CPU. Some have single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port.

Just get the one for 77€ and call it a day. It's good enough for the needs described.

Would be that a good upgrade from AX58U
Models I would consider in this budget: TUF-AX4200 and RT-AX59U (Openwrt support) or TUF-AX3000 V2 (Fresh Tomato support).

If you are happy with RT-AX58U v1 you probably won't notice a difference in performance between RT-AX58U v2 and RT-AX59U.
You can buy the cheaper one.

I should have probably said that I am not interested in third-party firmware since it doesn't any benefits that I would personally use. I'm not your average Joe when it comes to the Internet, but I'm and advanced user either. I barely scratch the surface of all the option of the stock firmware, so I'm happy with it.

I should have probably said that I am not interested in third-party firmware
In that case, the previous advice still applies: buy the cheapest one.

Welp, I'm boned. I can no longer get it for so cheap. The lowest price now is 95 €. I assume at this price it's not worth it?

The benefits of third-party firmware are not to be underestimated. Even if you never use anything past defaults. This is particularly true of RMerlin firmware.

Assuming you need to be an 'advanced' user is simply not true. The benefits are inherent. Not dependent.

I assume at this price it's not worth it?
I don't know. I don't even know what country you live in and what the prices are for various routers.
For such basic needs, basic models (such as RT-AX53U, RT-AX58U, TUF-AX3000 V2, TUF-AX4200 or RT-AX59U) are enough. Price between 50€ (RT-AX53U) and 100€ (other models) is ok.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!