What's new

RT-AX86U/AX-88U - Guide to properly configure and optimize Wireless for 2.4G Coverage and 5G Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

Hi, I am looking for a comprehensive and detailed guide with explanations to configure Wireless - General and Wireless - Professional tabs in the RT-AX86U and RT-AX88U, my goals are maximum COVERAGE with the 2.4G Band where I am going to have mostly IOT devices (Ring cameras, Garage door opener, Ecobee, etc.) and maximum SPEED with the 5G Band, where I am going to connect mostly Apple devices (MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, and HomePods), currently I am using WPA2/WPA3 authentication.

Any guidance will be appreciated, there are too many parameters to configure among both tabs in the Wireless section, thank you

Hi, I am looking for a comprehensive and detailed guide with explanations to configure Wireless - General and Wireless - Professional tabs in the RT-AX86U and RT-AX88U, my goals are maximum COVERAGE with the 2.4G Band where I am going to have mostly IOT devices (Ring cameras, Garage door opener, Ecobee, etc.) and maximum SPEED with the 5G Band, where I am going to connect mostly Apple devices (MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, and HomePods), currently I am using WPA2/WPA3 authentication.

Any guidance will be appreciated, there are too many parameters to configure among both tabs in the Wireless section, thank you

I came here for such guidance in 2018, and to discover AiMesh. My first post here is now my guide... takes about 15-20 minutes to configure my network from scratch. My notes are brief to fit in one post (10,000 characters max has been good discipline), but cover a lot of ground and are comprehensive and detailed enough for their purpose... to outline a basic dual-band configuration of ASUSWRT. If you want explanation, do the homework... study and seek answers to specific questions... these won't all be written down in one tidy explanation.

OE

Last edited:

the defaults are likely good enough - one can go down a rat hole tweaking settings...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!