What's new

RT-N16+RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lfbb

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

My ISP router (Technicolor TG784n v3) wireless capability is very bad so I disabled it and connected an RT-N16 configured as AP with Merlin's 3.0.0.4.374.35_4 to an ethernet port of the TG784. To cover my whole house I took my RT-N66U and configured it as a repeater, and here is my doubt... During the setup I chose to get an automatic IP, i.e., a dynamic IP from the main ISP router. The network is working fine but I would like to know if there is any problem on having a repeater's IP on the same subnet as the main ISP router. I've 'googled' for a little while and saw some tutorials advising to use a static IP on wireless repeater's, out of the main router subnet. As I said, all is apparently working fine but I would like to know if I can run into trouble by having my network set up this way.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see a problem with that setup as that's the way ASUS expects it to be done. The only issue would be if you want to log on to the repeater and you don't know its DHCP assigned IP address.

In Repeater mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility to get the wireless router's new IP address.

Hi Colin,

I've asked the question because my ISP router firmware reports the RT-N66U as having the IP 192.168.1.83 (which is wrong, the real IP is 192.168.1.82, see image from device discovery utility) and, what is strange, my brother's smartphone with the same IP (see image). As I said in the first post, all is working fine, so I guess this must be a bug of my ISP router firmware.

Best regards.

devices.jpg

discovery.jpg

From what I've learned on this site a repeater will cause havoc with mac and in your case ip assignments. I have a repeater and it's a Belkin one that's causing similar issues.
I'm thinking about trying powerline adapters and setting up a linksys router in bridge mode from my RTAC66U router.

If I do “dhcp server lease list” by telnet I get the correct list, no duplicated IP's. This must be a bug of the main router firmware.

dnsputty.jpg

Looks like there is definitely a problem and I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.:)

Missed that!:rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!