What's new

RT-N16U Transmit Power Setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bill1228

Regular Contributor
Maybe I am blind but I cannot find the setting for transmit power, Merlin latest 35_4 on RT16U. I looked in wireless > professional and do not see that option. Nor have I found on any other page with it. I am using it for my own personal wireless at a timeshare and would like to reduce it.
So am I blind or is it not there?
Thanks in advance.

--bill

Last edited:
Maybe I am blind but I cannot find the setting for transmit power, Merlin latest 35_4 on RT16U. I looked in wireless > professional and do not see that option. Nor have I found on any other page with it. I am using it for my own personal wireless at a timeshare and would like to reduce it.
So am I blind or is it not there?
l

It's not adjustable on the RT-N16.

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks for your efforts Merlin. --bill

Oh boy..I just flashed 374.40 to my RT-N16 and discovered this after searching for some time in the config. Can anyone tell me what the default tx power is running merlin-asus-wrt fw on the N16?
I also typically run at reduced power due to the proximity of the AP to my body.
Thanks.

Last edited:
RT-N16 Transmit Power

Hi Merlin,

I love your build, thanks for making it happen. My only issue is with the transmit range of my RT-N16 due to the house construction of metal and stone. So, I uninstalled the AsusWRT-Merlin_RT-N16_3.0.0.4_376.45_0.trx build and tried the dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin. I was able to adjust and test the range of my RT-N16 and it definitely is adjustable using the DD-WRT firmware. When I raise the value to 120mW (I don't think mW is the correct unit of measure), my RT-N16 most definitely penetrates to my basement whereas it had a hard time using the 3.0.0.4_376.45 build.

I would rather revert back to your firmware because of the user friendliness of it and would ask you to consider adding the TX POWER setting to your firmware.

Thanks!

Hi Merlin,

I love your build, thanks for making it happen. My only issue is with the transmit range of my RT-N16 due to the house construction of metal and stone. So, I uninstalled the AsusWRT-Merlin_RT-N16_3.0.0.4_376.45_0.trx build and tried the dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin. I was able to adjust and test the range of my RT-N16 and it definitely is adjustable using the DD-WRT firmware. When I raise the value to 120mW (I don't think mW is the correct unit of measure), my RT-N16 most definitely penetrates to my basement whereas it had a hard time using the 3.0.0.4_376.45 build.

I would rather revert back to your firmware because of the user friendliness of it and would ask you to consider adding the TX POWER setting to your firmware.

Thanks!

Not going to happen. Aside from the fact that Asus never implemented the necessary code to adjust the RT-N16 output power, Asus has now removed the code that allows output power to be increased beyond the allowed 80 mW due to legislation changes, and I have no intention to go against that change.

Also, increasing output power is more placebo than anything. Having the router output at a higher power will be of little help when your laptop will still try to reply back at its max 40-60 mW output power which your router will fail to receive properly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!