RT-N56U + Padavan's = Network VPN tunnel?

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by segordon, Nov 13, 2012.

1. segordon

segordon New Around Here

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi there.

I have a flashed N56U, and an account with a VPN provider that provides me with options for OpenVPN, PPTP & IPSEC/L2TP.

I now have all clients on the network hosted by this router connect to the VPN service independently. I would like the router to tunnel all traffic through the VPN service, so that all connected clients benefit from the VPN.

I use IPoE with my ISP, if it matters. Firmware : Padavan's

Thanks in advance.
  2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. gam1989

gam1989 New Around Here

Oct 15, 2014
    I know this may be too late (most likely it is), but this is for others mainly.

I found a solution for my own needs. I did not end up using a script. I use PIA (PrivateInternetAccess) for my VPN client through the Asus RT-N56U router with Padavan FW.

For the WAN settings, I changed the connection type to L2TP. This allowed me to enter my client information into the fields that popped up below. I tried PPTP, but the connection speed was significantly slower. . . Some people may dislike this, but it works for me.

I checked the log as the connection was established to make sure there were no issues with this method. Nothing seemed to arise.

I had attempted a connection through the "VPN Client" tab with no success. The connection was dropped over and over again by the VPN provider.

Using the L2TP connection, I have had a continuous connection with awesome speeds. Currently, I'm getting 50Mb/s, which is the max of my ISP.

Let me know if you have any questions!

In order to get this to work:

Log into your PIA account through their website. (https://www.privateinternetaccess.com)

At the bottom of the screen (after you log in) there should be a green box that says
    PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password (Optional)

Click on: “Generate Username and Password”

Whatever Username and Password that gives you is what needs to put put into the router’s login information.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015