What's new

RT-N66U and SNMP issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JayMan

New Around Here
Hi all,

I installed snmp on my RT-N66U tonight running Merlin. If I put a monitor on PRTG for eth0 it works but if I monitor eth0 on STG or Flowalyzer all I get are spikes and no real traffic.

Anyone know if this is something that can be fixed?

uB72qep.jpg

Going to correct myself. Doesn't work in PRTG either.

anyone got any ideas or something else other then the webpage that will give a realtime SNMP traffic for the WAN.

At the risk of being called a noob, how did you get SNMP on the router? I am running Merlin, but have never enabled scripts and such. Any links to docs or instructions?

I too would like to find an RMM solution. How do you like PRTG? I wonder if something like spiceworks would work for you. I also have heard much about Nagios, but have zero experience with it.

I also understand Fingbox has some RMM capability that looks interesting.

I know I am not much/any help, but am interested in your progress. Please keep us posted.

Cheers

At the risk of being called a noob, how did you get SNMP on the router? I am running Merlin, but have never enabled scripts and such. Any links to docs or instructions?

I too would like to find an RMM solution. How do you like PRTG? I wonder if something like spiceworks would work for you. I also have heard much about Nagios, but have zero experience with it.

I also understand Fingbox has some RMM capability that looks interesting.

I know I am not much/any help, but am interested in your progress. Please keep us posted.

Cheers

I found a how-to online which I can't find right now but it was pretty much install download manager, telnet into the router and run ipkg net-snmp and it installed it.

PRTG I've been running it for years, it detects all the snmp parts of the router but the NIC traffic is just not working properly.

I just installed net-snmp on my RT-N56Us which I use as APs (Padavan FW). The start file for net-snmp determines which interfaces are available via SNMP (it is limited to 4). By default the choices of the interfaces were not optimal for my router. The radios weren't even listed. You might want to double check the list of interfaces in the start script to ensure what you want to monitor is listed.

I just installed net-snmp on my RT-N56Us which I use as APs (Padavan FW). The start file for net-snmp determines which interfaces are available via SNMP (it is limited to 4). By default the choices of the interfaces were not optimal for my router. The radios weren't even listed. You might want to double check the list of interfaces in the start script to ensure what you want to monitor is listed.

Hi

I am having the same issue as the op on Merlin Firmware on RT-AC66U .. Can you please tell me exactly what to edit / put in the file??

/tmp/mnt/sda1/asusware/etc/snmpd.conf

OP: Did you manage to fix it? If so, please elaborate exactly how..