What's new

RT-N66U Goodwill or dump?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris313AllNight

Regular Contributor
So, I currently have a AXE16000 and plan to use this router for the next 4-5 years. (Bought in Feb of this year) But just in case, over the years I've kept a spare router or 2 around for emergencies should something happen.

On my current list I have a AX86U that the AXE16000 replaced. (Bought in 2020) An AC86U that the AX86U replaced (Bought in 2018) and 3rd, an N66U that the AC86U replaced. (Bought in March of 2013 to May of 2018) Is there any reason to goodwill the N66U or should I just wipe and dump it considering today's technology?

So, I currently have a AXE16000 and plan to use this router for the next 4-5 years. (Bought in Feb of this year) But just in case, over the years I've kept a spare router or 2 around for emergencies should something happen.

On my current list I have a AX86U that the AXE16000 replaced. (Bought in 2020) An AC86U that the AX86U replaced (Bought in 2018) and 3rd, an N66U that the AC86U replaced. (Bought in March of 2013 to May of 2018) Is there any reason to goodwill the N66U or should I just wipe and dump it considering today's technology?
Its days as a useful router are over but it could be useful if you have a place to use it as switch. Turn off the radios, remove the antennas, disable the DHCP function and you have a perfectly serviceable switch with three or possibly four LAN ports. I still have a couple of Linksys WRT54G routers from the early 2000s I use for this purpose in media cabinets where a fast Ethernet connection is plenty. One of my WRT54Gs has been working well in this role since 2013.

Its days as a useful router are over but it could be useful if you have a place to use it as switch. Turn off the radios, remove the antennas, disable the DHCP function and you have a perfectly serviceable switch with three or possibly four LAN ports. I still have a couple of Linksys WRT54G routers from the early 2000s I use for this purpose in media cabinets where a fast Ethernet connection is plenty. One of my WRT54Gs has been working well in this role since 2013.

Could also use it as a media bridge.

But regardless to keep it out of the landfill, hard factory reset it and give to goodwill. Someone will pay 5 bucks for it and use it for something.

Is there any reason to goodwill the N66U or should I just wipe and dump it considering today's technology?

Offer it to @wouterv. :)

Last edited: