What's new

RTN-66U "dark knight" on 5ghz 2 devices make it slow?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MesaMitch

New Around Here
Hey guys new to this form just wanna tell everyone hi!

just bought a iPhone 5 last night
and when it connects on my 5ghz network on my Asus rtn-66u
it slows down my iMac and my iPhone
i have a 50 mbps connection from Comcast

and when i connect 2 devices its slowing it down so bad that i can't even go to google to search anything

unless i put my iPhone on 2.4 network

then every thing is fine again

iPhones
ip address is 192.168.1.5
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1
dns is 192.168.1.1

iMac
ipv4 192.168.1.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1

Router settings
Wireless Mode auto
Control Channel auto
Channel bandwidth 20/40
Extension Channel: auto
Authentication Method WPA2 personal
WPA Encryption aes
network key rotation interval 3600

Thanks guys Appreciate any help and comments back
Have a good day guys!

The N on the iPhone 5 is only capable of handling 1 stream, 150mbps. Maybe that is what you are seeing? Data will get to your iPhone slower than to your Mac.

funfact: fu&/ing "new iPad", released in March 2012, is able to connect with 65mbit max.. but it does these incredible 65mbit at 5 or 2.4ghz :rolleyes:

The vast majority of mobile devices is only 65/72 Mbits. Only a few devices released this year can do 150 Mbits - it's very recent.

So what's the point of a dual band router? I want to buy this router to push my iPhones and iPads to the 5Ghz. So it's not worth it then?

My rt-n66u covers my whole house on both bands. While my iPad 2 doesn't take full advantage as my laptop with a dual band client it still gets better speed on the 5ghz band than on the 2.4, due to less interference on the 5ghz band.
With tv, cordless phones, microwave and other electronic devices the 2.4 band will sometimes drop to half of my paid for speed. When I switch and connect to the 5ghz band i always get my full 30mbps download, regardless of where I am in the house and whatever else is running.

Last edited:
So what's the point of a dual band router? I want to buy this router to push my iPhones and iPads to the 5Ghz. So it's not worth it then?

The single stream part where mobile devices only handle 72 Mbits is separate from the single band thing. My Motorola Xoom is dual band (2.4/5), but is still a single stream device, capping at 72 Mbits.

Dual stream mobile devices (150 mbits) only started appearing this year, and should become more common in 2013.

802.11n was a transition technology, designed to support both legacy 2.4 GHz and future-proof 5 GHz. New technologies like 802.11ac are 5 GHz-only. Eventually, all devices will support 5 GHz, meaning 2.4 GHz might then start getting slowly phased out.

But right now, dual-band routers make a lot of sense. 2.4 GHz covers more range, 5 GHz provides more stable throughput (due to reduced interference).

I dont know about the iPhone but my iPad 4 does 150 which is pretty good, yeah I wish it could push 300 but I am not transferring files between my ipad and server. My TF tablet max is only 65. One reason in my case why I wanted a 5ghz connection is that everyone and their mom is on 2.4ghz in my area. I have to always change channel when I am on 2.4ghz.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!