What's new

RV130 vs ERL

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hanila

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking for a router to replace my ISP's. (I'm in France)
I need a fast NAT throughput, because I have a 500Mbps WAN input, and 200Mbps output.
I saw the ERL, which is really popular, but it only have 3 ethernet ports, and I really need the Cisco's 4. (Or I'll have to buy a switch)

I haven't seen a lot of reviews concerning the RV130, that's why I'm posting here.
Do someone has an opinion about that ?

Last edited:
I'm assuming you'll be running these without much packet processing or encryption running? If that's the case, then either aught to be fine, as well as many consumer models (as Tim suggested).

That said, unless having the extra switch port located off-box represents a real issue for your topology, I wouldn't let built-in port count dissuade you -- an ERL plus a 5 or 8-port unmanaged switch should be less than or equal to the cost of an RV130, and you'd come out ahead on processing power and switching capacity. Alternatively, you could opt for the ERL-PoE 5, which would give you two additional built-in ports, a faster backplane and integrated PoE (as its name implies). I might also suggest MikroTik but in this case your target throughput puts them at a price premium most likely.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!