What's new

samba share from router-attached HDD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StR

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC86U router with an attached HDD (USB3). I created an SMB share.
I can access it from a laptop and a phone.
However, I have problems accessing it from a desktop that is connected to the same network via ethernet & Netgear R6330 in a bridge mode. (This router connects a few ethernet-only devices). Is there anything that I am missing in the router's SMB settings that limits this access?
(The shares that are hosted on this desktop are accessible from all LAN devices.)

Just in case, I should point out that R6330 in bridge mode has one interesting idiosyncrasy: it changes the effective Mac-addresses of all devices that are attached to it via Ethernet. I didn't configure this, and I don't see in the router's settings where that could be configured.
(About 2 years ago, first, I was using RT-N66U as the bridge, and it wasn't doing that Mac-addr modificaiton.)

Does the laptop that works also have an ethernet port? If so plug that into the Netgear bridge and see if it still works. If it doesn't then it's likely a problem with the bridge. If it does work then it's likely a problem with your desktop PC.

(The shares that are hosted on this desktop are accessible from all LAN devices.)
Sounds like a problem with the PC's SMB Client. What version of Windows? Post a picture of your router Samba settings.

Does the laptop that works also have an ethernet port? If so plug that into the Netgear bridge and see if it still works. If it doesn't then it's likely a problem with the bridge. If it does work then it's likely a problem with your desktop PC.

Sounds like a problem with the PC's SMB Client. What version of Windows? Post a picture of your router Samba settings.
Thank you for that idea, I don't know how I hadn't thought about it.
And yes, you are right, it does seem to be a problem with the desktop PC's SMB client. (It worked when I connected the laptop to that Netgear bridge via Ethernet.
Since I've discovered that almost a month ago, I've been trying to figure out what would be the culprit for that problem, but so far I am unable to see anything that would block that connection. (It is a Win-10 box. )
I understand, this goes beyond the scope of this forum (hence my delayed response), but if someone might have an idea, I'd appreciate that.