What's new

Sans Digital EliteNAS EN104L+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glfp

New Around Here
Could be the poor performance caused by the internal Gigabit controller ?

This motherboard comes with 2 Realtek RTL8111C-GR Gigabit controller. In another review for a Jetway NC81 motherboard (that I'm evaluating for my DIY NAS), I read the these controllor is old and with poor performance, but without other comments on it.

This review seem to prove that considerations.

Some suggestions ?

Thanks.

glfp

Perhaps you are correct. But the controllers are what they are.

EliteNAS thoughts

I recently purchased one of these units from Amazon for around $700. I too, found the default software to be inadequate compared to offerings from other vendors. I set off to improve this by resizing the partition on the 2GB SSD the default software is installed to. As it only took up about 600MB, I shrank the partition to 1GB and installed Openfiler 2.3 in the remaining space.

After installing Openfiler, I only had to download and patch the Ethernet driver to get things working perfectly. The performance and usability under Openfiler is much, much better than the default software that comes with the unit. iSCSI administration is dead easy. The hardware itself is not bad. I got 802.3ad working with my Cisco 2924XL switch. The box built RAID5 array from four 2GB disks in just under 10 hours using software RAID.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!