What's new

Scripts, so if I understand correctly...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SaintNick

Occasional Visitor
In order to benefit from extra scripts in this firmware, several requirements are

- plug in a USB2 stick
- install Entware

Is that correct? Or for simple small scripts (such as nightly reboot) can I do without this?

I did already manage to overclock my RT-AC68U from 800,666 to 1200,800.
CPU temperature remains stable at 82 °C.

There's no need for a USB stick or Entware for the vast majority of scripts. Entware is only needed if you need to add new programs to the router.

Got it. Thanks. I did a bit more of RTFW (read the ***ing wiki ;-)

I already bought the ultraflat 32GB USB3 flash stick for the AC68u, so now I need to find uses for it.
I probably might want to play around with Entware. Although anything outside of the webui or not surviving fw resets, wouldn't be worthwhile imho.
So AsusWRT creates a small JFFS partition in onboard flash, and that's where simple scripts can go. But does Entware need its own larger JFFS partition, on the USB stick? And if so, are there then two JFFS partitions, one for for WRT and one for Entware?

Is this a good idea for the 32GB stick?
- 1 partition for JFFS (ext2, 1GB)
- 1 partition for WRT logs (ext2, 1GB)
- 1 partition for user files, whatever (ext2, the rest GB)

Being a windows user, I'm not particularly happy with ext2, would prefer NTFS, but I reckon I won't often be unplugging the USB stick from the router in any case. So ext2 makes the most sense, no?

Got it. Thanks. I did a bit more of RTFW (read the ***ing wiki ;-)

I already bought the ultraflat 32GB USB3 flash stick for the AC68u, so now I need to find uses for it.
I probably might want to play around with Entware. Although anything outside of the webui or not surviving fw resets, wouldn't be worthwhile imho.
So AsusWRT creates a small JFFS partition in onboard flash, and that's where simple scripts can go. But does Entware need its own larger JFFS partition, on the USB stick? And if so, are there then two JFFS partitions, one for for WRT and one for Entware?

Is this a good idea for the 32GB stick?
- 1 partition for JFFS (ext2, 1GB)
- 1 partition for WRT logs (ext2, 1GB)
- 1 partition for user files, whatever (ext2, the rest GB)

Being a windows user, I'm not particularly happy with ext2, would prefer NTFS, but I reckon I won't often be unplugging the USB stick from the router in any case. So ext2 makes the most sense, no?

JFFS is a filesystem that allows to create a partition with a writable filesystem within a flash chip. This has nothing to do with USB sticks, which are already writable devices.

Keep things simple - just go with one single ext2 partition on the USB stick. No point in creating separate partitions. A Linux filesystem is mandatory for Entware.

Since we're discussing simple scripts questions, I'll jump in here.

A few months ago I was a total newb to all this, and of course still am a 98% newb. I got an AC56U running Merlin (April '15 build) with OpenVPN client. That's good, but I want to do more using JFFS scripts. I've browsed all of the wiki and much of this forum, but is there a beginners guide to JFFS scripts? I've accessed the JFFS folder through WinSCP, but I expected the basic scripts to be there, but the folder is empty. Are there templates for the basic scripts mentioned in the wiki?

Since we're discussing simple scripts questions, I'll jump in here.

A few months ago I was a total newb to all this, and of course still am a 98% newb. I got an AC56U running Merlin (April '15 build) with OpenVPN client. That's good, but I want to do more using JFFS scripts. I've browsed all of the wiki and much of this forum, but is there a beginners guide to JFFS scripts? I've accessed the JFFS folder through WinSCP, but I expected the basic scripts to be there, but the folder is empty. Are there templates for the basic scripts mentioned in the wiki?

No. They are 100% user-created scripts. There's no script at all from the firmware itself - you create them only as needed.

No. They are 100% user-created scripts. There's no script at all from the firmware itself - you create them only as needed.
Thank you for the reply, and for the firmware!

Do you know of a guide to getting started with scripts? I really just want to get the SSID for VPN and SSID for ISP thing working, but I realize that Wiki entry is for more advanced users; I don't understand the script and I don't even know where to begin with the services-start script.

As a sidenote, I see that you're doing more with VPN routing in recent releases, that's fantastic! I hope you will consider adding SSID for VPN and SSID for ISP into the GUI, that seems to be a very common desire with a lot of frustrated attempts using scripts.

Thank you for the reply, and for the firmware!

Do you know of a guide to getting started with scripts? I really just want to get the SSID for VPN and SSID for ISP thing working, but I realize that Wiki entry is for more advanced users; I don't understand the script and I don't even know where to begin with the services-start script.

No guide in particular, sorry. This is generic Linux script stuff, there's a lot of info on it on the web, including on these forums.

As a sidenote, I see that you're doing more with VPN routing in recent releases, that's fantastic! I hope you will consider adding SSID for VPN and SSID for ISP into the GUI, that seems to be a very common desire with a lot of frustrated attempts using scripts.

That's not in my plans, as this is far too specialized/specific, and would fall outside the scope of this project.