What's new

Second Router For AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

techdiver

Occasional Visitor
Hey,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I currently run a Asus RT-AC87U as my main router and have a Belkin N600DB wired up as a second AP though power-line.

I'm currently doping some upgrades top install LAN cable throughout the house and want to replace the Belkin with a better AP.

I am looking at getting one of the following:

Another 87U (£110)
68U (£100)
66U (£75)
AC1200G (£60)

The price being so similar for the 68 and 87 would more than likely rule out the 68 for me, but would getting another 87 just to act as a second AP be overkill? Would I be just as well served with the 66U?

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Or look at dedicated APs like Ubiquiti Unifi UAP-AC-LITE maybe? Are you looking for speed, stability, or coverage? There are others out there besides the UAP line...that just happens to be what I am familiar with.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm essentially looking for coverage and speed (one helps the other :)). My current setup works great for coverage, but I just want to upgrade to something faster using AC WiFi. Plus my Belkin cannot use the DFS channels which is quite limiting.

The reason I'm going down the router router is I also want to leave the flexibility of using extra LAN connections upstairs where the second router will reside.

Cheers.

Fair enough on the extra LAN ports. Don't ignore the fact that you can always add in a cheap 5 or 8 port switch no matter what solution you choose. Since you aren't going to use the routing features, you don't need to worry as much about the CPU and memory as you do the radio features/specs.

As for DFS...just make sure your clients all support DFS before you go down that path. I moved my 2nd AP to DFS channels and it worked great for a couple of my devices...but I had several clients that couldn't see it and therefore had to revert back to non-DFS channels.

Yeah, cheers.

The clients I'll be using do support DFS as they connect fine to the downstairs 87U.

I'm thinking that the 66U would tick all the boxes for me especially at £75.

I won't rule out a dedicated AP though. I'll do a bit more reading up on them.

Thanks again.