What's new

Security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ironic77

New Around Here
I feel like there has been a ton of stuff in the news lately about hacks against different software, OpenSSL, Schannel, to name a few. Then there's denial of service and increasing home automation / cameras on home networks, most of which have terrible security and depend on the router to keep the bad guys out.

In general I have a fear about my router being a weak spot on my small network. You spend hundreds on security and network devices, then you introduce a prosumer router at a sub-$200 price point. At the perimeter. And the entire small network industry seems designed around a two-to-three year cycle before you're expected to throw it away and upgrade. Even if you don't need new features or latest wireless speeds.

It would be good to look at security if not by router model, then by brand. Many manufacturers release one or two major updates for their router (at most), then drop it and move on. This probably doesn't bode well for security patches. Even DDWRT hasn't had a major update in years -- I find it VERY hard to believe that means no one has figured out a back door or DoS or other vulnerability.

Maybe I'm the only one -- or maybe you should advise me to go buy something more expensive than a consumer/prosumer router (in which case I'd certainly listen to your arguments)?

Sure, performance is important. But reliability and security are waaaaaay more important to me than getting that extra 2Mbps in wireless performance. I don't want to reboot my router 5 times per day, and I want to know that the manufacturer is helping watch my back in case the bad guys want in.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!