What's new

Seeking topology configuration advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randymadden

Occasional Visitor
Since I really only know just enough about networking to be dangerous - I'm open to any advice you experts wish to proffer.

My current setup= AT&T gateway: 2Wire 3800HGV-B, router behind gateway: DLink DIR655, behind that are 2 4-port gigabit switches and 1 8-port gigabit switch. On the ethernet I'm currently getting gigabit throughput all the way down.

Devices = Ethernet: 5 PCs + 1 Windows 8 server, 4 DVRs, 3 PS3s; Wireless: 4 cell phones, 3 tablets (2 windows, 1 iPad), and a Nest thermostat, in a 1550 sq. ft., single level house.

I originally had both the gateway and router configured to the same SSID. But I've recently been having way too many wireless connection problems. Right now I have each one configured as it's own SSID and that seems to be helping.

So I want to upgrade the router. I think I've narrowed it down to: TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750, ASUS RT-AC56U, or Engenius ESR1200 (I like the idea of a ceiling mount).

So where I need advice (besides which is the best router for my setup?):

1) Should I ditch the DIR655, or use it in another part of the house as a repeater/bridge/access point (I've done so much research at this point I no longer understand the difference)?

2) One shared SSID or two (or three if I keep the 655)?

3) Which channel (right now I've got them both on 4)?

4) I've gathered there's a way to set any of the routers into some kind of "bridge mode", or even to disable wireless altogether and only use one router for the wireless service. Any advice on the best way to set them up, given my needs, would be welcome.

5) Any issues I should be aware of, problems I'm causing myself, better ways to configure.

6) Any tips on how to maximize stability, throughput, reception?

7) The wisdom of maybe putting the new router in the attic? I live in Southern California and it gets really hot up there.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
press your ISP (AT&T) to change your modem/router to bridge mode. Then your router is THE router. Now, there's a bad double-NAT.
The D-Link should be retired ASAP.

If you can, move ASAP to cable modem and bye-bye to evil AT&T.

Since I really only know just enough about networking to be dangerous - I'm open to any advice you experts wish to proffer.

My current setup= AT&T gateway: 2Wire 3800HGV-B, router behind gateway: DLink DIR655, behind that are 2 4-port gigabit switches and 1 8-port gigabit switch. On the ethernet I'm currently getting gigabit throughput all the way down.

Devices = Ethernet: 5 PCs + 1 Windows 8 server, 4 DVRs, 3 PS3s; Wireless: 4 cell phones, 3 tablets (2 windows, 1 iPad), and a Nest thermostat, in a 1550 sq. ft., single level house.

I originally had both the gateway and router configured to the same SSID. But I've recently been having way too many wireless connection problems. Right now I have each one configured as it's own SSID and that seems to be helping.

So I want to upgrade the router. I think I've narrowed it down to: TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750, ASUS RT-AC56U, or Engenius ESR1200 (I like the idea of a ceiling mount).

So where I need advice (besides which is the best router for my setup?):

1) Should I ditch the DIR655, or use it in another part of the house as a repeater/bridge/access point (I've done so much research at this point I no longer understand the difference)? Don't get ride of it if it works well. You can use it to extend your network with probably is necessary for your house size.

2) One shared SSID or two (or three if I keep the 655)? It's good practice to differentiate SSID's by location and frequency to avoid conflicts and duplicate network errors

3) Which channel (right now I've got them both on 4)? Do a wireless analysis with Android Wifi Analyzer or inSSIDer for example to make sure you have no overlaps and proper spacing between channels.

4) I've gathered there's a way to set any of the routers into some kind of "bridge mode", or even to disable wireless altogether and only use one router for the wireless service. Any advice on the best way to set them up, given my needs, would be welcome. I find that wireless bridge mode with some routers cause device discovery issues. Another option would be to cascade a wireless router in a LAN to LAN configuration

5) Any issues I should be aware of, problems I'm causing myself, better ways to configure. Not really it look like a good network setup

6) Any tips on how to maximize stability, throughput, reception? In above comments
7) The wisdom of maybe putting the new router in the attic? I live in Southern California and it gets really hot up there. The heat will cause it to fail

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Follow stevech advise first and see if you can get a modem that work in bridge mode from your ISP.

Other comments above:

First, what are your "connection problems"? Disconnects? Low throughput? Both? Any devices more than others? Doing a little detective work and noticing behavior patterns can help point you in the right solution direction.

Given you are in So. Cal, you are probably in a neighborhood with many wireless networks, all competing for bandwidth in 2.4 GHz. Chadster gave good advice to use inSSIDer or another wireless analyzer that will show you the wireless networks in range and their relative signal strengths. Your problem could just be too many people competing for too little bandwidth. Or a neighbor who just got a new router that happened to park itself on a channel near the one you are using.

What these tools don't tell you is how busy those networks are, which can make a big difference in choice. But you should be using Channel 1, 6 or 11. Using other channels makes your signal look like noise to other networks, which means they can't properly coordinate their activity with yours. Use the wireless analyzer to narrow your choice, then experiment.

If your problem is low signal in particular areas of the house, you are better off using Ethernet connected Access Points vs. extenders or bridges. (See The Best Way To Get Whole House Wireless Coverage ).

If running Ethernet is completely impossible, then try Powerline or MoCA to bring Ethernet where you want it.

Yes, you can convert a router to an access point (See How To Convert a Wireless Router into an Access Point and How To Add an Access Point to a Wireless Router)
The latter article will advise you on channel and SSID selection.

Other things you can do:
- Move critical connections to Ethernet or powerline or MoCA if possible.
- Move wireless connections to 5 GHz if possible. 5 GHz signals don't go as
far. But putting in multiple access points solves that.

And no, don't put a router or AP in the attic. Way too hot.

Thanks Tim. Very helpful stuff. It's drops and disconnects that are plaguing me right now - all devices equally. I looked at the inSSIDer website but, as much as I'd like to, I don't have $200 to drop on an analyzer right now.

I have Ethernet throughout the house, so it's easy to connect an access point that way. Are you suggesting I could take my [soon to be] old DIR655, ethernet connect it in the living room, and then add it to the SSID to extend my range?

That brings up a question I forgot to ask the first time: If I do decide to keep using the DIR655 as an extender, does it impose a speed restriction on my network? You know, the "the system is only as fast as it's slowest component" kind of thing?

I'm glad you brought up the "move the wireless devices to to 5 GHz". I've seen mentions here and there about using one band or the other. But I haven't seen anything that mentions HOW you tell your device to use a specific band. Can you point me to a resource for that?

Thanks again for the great answers.

Rm

Thanks Tim. Very helpful stuff. It's drops and disconnects that are plaguing me right now - all devices equally. I looked at the inSSIDer website but, as much as I'd like to, I don't have $200 to drop on an analyzer right now.
It's $20. And the Android version is still free. The older version is also hosted on other sites. See this thread.

I have Ethernet throughout the house, so it's easy to connect an access point that way. Are you suggesting I could take my [soon to be] old DIR655, ethernet connect it in the living room, and then add it to the SSID to extend my range?
That is exactly what is described in The Best Way To Get Whole House Coverage. Please read if you haven't.

That brings up a question I forgot to ask the first time: If I do decide to keep using the DIR655 as an extender, does it impose a speed restriction on my network? You know, the "the system is only as fast as it's slowest component" kind of thing?
"Wireless extenders" have a specific meaning. They use a technique that receives then retransmits each data packet using a single radio. Each packet takes up twice the airtime, so cuts throughput in half. But only for traffic flowing through that specific connection.

When you improve coverage and performance by adding Ethernet connected access points, client throughput is determined by that access point's characteristics only for the devices connected through it.

I'm glad you brought up the "move the wireless devices to to 5 GHz". I've seen mentions here and there about using one band or the other. But I haven't seen anything that mentions HOW you tell your device to use a specific band. Can you point me to a resource for that?
Simply assign a unique SSID to the 5 GHz band and connect clients to it. This assumes clients support dual-band. You'll be able to tell that, once you assign different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz. If the client can't see the 5 GHz SSID, it doesn't support 5 GHz. You should also check the Wireless Connection Properties to ensure that 5 GHz isn't disabled.