What's new

Wireguard Session Manager - Discussion (2nd) thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What's the adage "devs don't develop on/for ALPHA" releases?
Agree. Maybee should have rephrased the question to if there is anything already known to prevent it from loading the build in modules and/or run on ax56u/ax58u.

Sorry for the confusion but you gave an excellent answer as always :)

//Zeb

Agree. Maybee should have rephrased the question to if there is anything already known to prevent it from loading the build in modules and/or run on ax56u/ax58u.

Sorry for the confusion but you gave an excellent answer as always :)

//Zeb
This is what I get during the installation from dev branch, as well as when I try to start Wireguard peers on 58U.

Code:
E:Option ==> 4

Requesting WireGuard VPN Peer start (wg21 )

wireguard-server1: Initialising Wireguard VPN 'Server' Peer (wg21) on my.ip.add.ress:51820 (# RT-AX58U Server #1)
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
Unable to modify interface: Protocol not supported
Cannot find device "wg21"
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: No such device
ifconfig: SIOCSIFTXQLEN: No such device
    wireguard-server1: Initialisation complete.

WireGuard ACTIVE Peer Status: Clients 0, Servers 0

Hope it helps.

This is what I get during the installation from dev branch, as well as when I try to start Wireguard peers on 58U.

Code:
E:Option ==> 4

Requesting WireGuard VPN Peer start (wg21 )

wireguard-server1: Initialising Wireguard VPN 'Server' Peer (wg21) on my.ip.add.ress:51820 (# RT-AX58U Server #1)
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
ifconfig: SIOCSIFMTU: No such device
ifconfig: SIOCSIFTXQLEN: No such device
    wireguard-server1: Initialisation complete.

WireGuard ACTIVE Peer Status: Clients 0, Servers 0

Hope it helps.
I don't believe @RMerlin has released any ALPHA firmware for the RT-AX58U containing the WireGuard modules?

If he has, it probably indicates that the module needs to be loaded, although wireguard_manager should automatically do this, but you can check
Code:
find / -name wireguard.ko

insmod $(find / -name wireguard.ko)

Last edited:
I don't believe @RMerlin has released any ALPHA firmware for the RT-AX58U containing the WireGuard modules?
I understood this:

As they were included in the 386.4_alpha2-g952c6bdecc released modules but he only tested and loaded them in ax88/ax86 but maybe they were only included in these models?

@underdose what do you get if you run:
Code:
From the shell

//Zeb

Last edited:
Code:
/lib/modules/4.1.52/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko
insmod $(find / -name wireguard.ko)
First it returned nothing but the second time, this:
Code:
find: ‘/proc/3088’: No such file or directory
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/4.1.52/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko': File exists

Code:
/lib/modules/4.1.52/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko

First it returned nothing but the second time, this:
Code:
find: ‘/proc/3088’: No such file or directory
insmod: can't insert '/lib/modules/4.1.52/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko': File exists
Could you check if its loaded:
Code:
lsmod | grep wireguard

It should return something like this if its loaded:
Code:
wireguard             108484  0

//Zeb

Yep, its loaded... now atleast... what if you try to run wgm again and create your server peer?

//Zeb

I set up the server & added a test client, imported config to Wireguard app on phone, and now I can access the router login page from my phone on cellular data (but no internet access). So, it works?

I set up the server & added a test client, imported config to Wireguard app on phone, and now I can access the router login page from my phone on cellular data. So, it works!
Wow! Cool!

So wgm dont seem to get the kernel module loaded for some reason.

Meanwhile you could put the
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/4.1.52/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard
In nat-start before wgm starts...

//Zeb

now I can access the router login page from my phone on cellular data (but no internet access). So, it works?
Yes, it appears so...
Dont know how internet is supposed to work via server, since I cannot setup one myself.
Maybee some differencies in firewall on this firmware. Or dns related maybee?

//Zeb

don't believe @RMerlin has released any ALPHA firmware for the RT-AX58U containing the WireGuard modules?
They're there in that recent RT-AX58U alpha build:

Code:
merlin@ubuntu-dev:~/amng.ax58/release/src-rt-5.02axhnd.675x/targets$ find . -name wireguard.ko
./96750GW/modules/lib/modules/4.1.52/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko
./96750GW/fs/lib/modules/4.1.52/kernel/net/wireguard/wireguard.ko

Use modprobe to load it.

meaning? the new wireguard "VPN client interface" introduced in RC3 isn't included in the merlin GUI, right? so the only way using wireguard on this alpha is with wgm? thanks
Yes, or to manually set everything up yourself using wg.

Dont know how internet is supposed to work via server, since I cannot setup one myself.
Maybee some differencies in firewall on this firmware. Or dns related maybee?
Somehow DNS was not defined in the test.conf file so I manually added it (DNS: 10.50.1.1) and now I'm posting this comment on my laptop connected to my home router 5 kilometers away, via Wireguard with internet access :)

Somehow DNS was not defined in the test.conf file so I manually added it (DNS: 10.50.1.1)
Q. So there is no DNS = directive in the 'test.conf' that was imported into your laptop?, or was there a DNS = directive, but it contained the incorrect IP Address?

Q. So there is no DNS = directive in the 'test.conf' that was imported into your laptop?, or was there a DNS = directive, but it contained the incorrect IP Address?
There were no directives regarding the DNS in the test.conf file that I created on my router and imported to my laptop, I had to add the whole line (DNS= 10.50.1.1) by myself.

There were no directives regarding the DNS in the test.conf file that I created on my router and imported to my laptop, I had to add the whole line (DNS= 10.50.1.1) by myself.
What does the following show?
Code:
nvram get wan0_dns
Perhaps you could create another test configuration, then obfuscate the endpoint address, and PM me the results of the debug lines
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> debug
e.g.
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Debug mode enabledOption ==> create test1

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!