set up RT-N56U as wireless bridge w/out WDS

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by asgallant, Jun 20, 2011.

1. asgallant

asgallant New Around Here

I was using an old PC with a Linksys card, running Red Hat, as a wireless bridge from the Verizon router on the other side of my house, but that PC went up in smoke. I got an ASUS RT-N56U and am trying to set it up as a wireless bridge without using the WDS protocol (the Verizon router doesn't support it). Does anyone know how to set up a bridge connection like this?

I had previously connected the PC to the router as a wireless client, and shared the connection on a 4-port gigabit ethernet card with the other PCs on this side of the house.

I'd rather not have to invest in another router to make this work.

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

I don't see that the ASUS has a bridge mode. Most consumer WiFi routers cannot be bridges. They can be an access point.

There are bridges (WiFi to ethernet) aplenty, under $75.

4. Grandal

Grandal New Around Here

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I was about to pull the trigger on this router as well, but I read that it does not have a client bridge mode (AND only supports bridging with other ASUS brand routers). This is a deal breaker for my intended use, and I read that the Cisco E4200 supports both (and now has a DD-WRT release).

5. lamadanu

lamadanu New Around Here

client mode on rt-n56u

there is a client bridge mode on rt-n56u. Although there is no link to the survey page on the router gui go can go there by 192.168.1.1/survey.asp or wharever your router ip is.

6. corndog

corndog Regular Contributor

Actually it seems there is NOT a client bridge mode on the RT-N56U. It does AP, WDS, and Hybrid AP/WDS, but doesn't do client bridge, sadly.

7. corndog

corndog Regular Contributor

Just to make sure, I also tried upgrading to the <shiver> beta firmware. No client bridge mode in that one either...