Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

set up RT-N56U as wireless bridge w/out WDS

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by asgallant, Jun 20, 2011.

1. asgallant

asgallant New Around Here

I was using an old PC with a Linksys card, running Red Hat, as a wireless bridge from the Verizon router on the other side of my house, but that PC went up in smoke. I got an ASUS RT-N56U and am trying to set it up as a wireless bridge without using the WDS protocol (the Verizon router doesn't support it). Does anyone know how to set up a bridge connection like this?

I had previously connected the PC to the router as a wireless client, and shared the connection on a 4-port gigabit ethernet card with the other PCs on this side of the house.

I'd rather not have to invest in another router to make this work.

2. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

I don't see that the ASUS has a bridge mode. Most consumer WiFi routers cannot be bridges. They can be an access point.

There are bridges (WiFi to ethernet) aplenty, under $75.

3. Grandal

Grandal New Around Here

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I was about to pull the trigger on this router as well, but I read that it does not have a client bridge mode (AND only supports bridging with other ASUS brand routers). This is a deal breaker for my intended use, and I read that the Cisco E4200 supports both (and now has a DD-WRT release).

4. lamadanu

lamadanu New Around Here

client mode on rt-n56u

there is a client bridge mode on rt-n56u. Although there is no link to the survey page on the router gui go can go there by 192.168.1.1/survey.asp or wharever your router ip is.

5. corndog

corndog Regular Contributor

Actually it seems there is NOT a client bridge mode on the RT-N56U. It does AP, WDS, and Hybrid AP/WDS, but doesn't do client bridge, sadly.

6. corndog

corndog Regular Contributor

Just to make sure, I also tried upgrading to the <shiver> beta firmware. No client bridge mode in that one either...