What's new

Setting to make new Netflix for Android work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Muyfa666

Regular Contributor
The latest Netflix for Android is hardcoded with Google's DNS.

A user on Unblock-Us forums posted this router config as a working solution:

interface Vlan1 (or any other LAN interface)
ip address 192.168.15.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
ip policy route-map google_dns-redirect

ip access-list extended google_dns
permit udp 192.168.15.0 0.0.0.255 host 8.8.8.8

route-map google_dns-redirect permit 10
match ip address google_dns
set ip next-hop 111.118.175.56

ip nat outside source static 111.118.175.56 8.8.8.8

Can this at all be used with a Asus router? The example was made with a Cisco I think...

The latest Netflix for Android is hardcoded with Google's DNS.

A user on Unblock-Us forums posted this router config as a working solution:

interface Vlan1 (or any other LAN interface)
ip address 192.168.15.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
ip policy route-map google_dns-redirect

ip access-list extended google_dns
permit udp 192.168.15.0 0.0.0.255 host 8.8.8.8

route-map google_dns-redirect permit 10
match ip address google_dns
set ip next-hop 111.118.175.56

ip nat outside source static 111.118.175.56 8.8.8.8

Can this at all be used with a Asus router? The example was made with a Cisco I think...

This fix? was for Roku...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=15538&highlight=google+redirect&page=2

Is it possible to use with a asus router? I searched through the settings but can't find where to enter this...

Try using DNSFilter, it should be able to redirect those DNS queries to go through the DNS server of your choice.

What is DNSFilter? Is it a router setting or a program?

It's a feature of my firmware. See the included documentation, or search these forums for more details on how to use it. Basically, it lets you force any specific client to use a defined DNS server.

Found it.

Just so I understand it right - if I have set a custom DNS in the router, can I MAC force the Chromecast to that DNS by setting router in DNSFilter?

Found it.

Just so I understand it right - if I have set a custom DNS in the router, can I MAC force the Chromecast to that DNS by setting router in DNSFilter?

The idea in your particular case is to enable DNSFilter, and leave the Global setting to "no filtering". Then, enter the custom DNS in the Custom 1 field. Below that, add a new entry with the Chromecast's MAC, and tell it to use the Custom 1 DNS.

That way, only the Chromecast will be affected by DNSFilter - everything else will still work as before, using the ISP's DNS (or any hardcoded DNS if they happen to have one configured locally).

It worked for the Chromecast, but not for the Android unit.

However, all works if I set custom DNS under WAN, the Global "Router" in DNS Filtering

How come this works, but not "No filtering"?

It worked for the Chromecast, but not for the Android unit.

However, all works if I set custom DNS under WAN, the Global "Router" in DNS Filtering

How come this works, but not "No filtering"?

If you set it to "No filtering", it means exactly that: the router will not do any filtering, and your device will use whatever DNS is specified by the device. Please, re-read the instructions I posted in my previous post.

I have been searching through the forum and multiple articles and this is the closest I have gotten.
Currently I am running on Asuswrt-Merlin 384.8_2 (Asus RT-AC66U_B1)

I am currently setting an Amazon Fire TV and a Chromecast and I'm trying to use Netflix with a Smart DNS.
I was able to test and noticed Chromecast has Google's DNS built in so I went ahead and set up a DNS Filter for the Chromecast. Now I can cast from my Android/iOS device RegionFree.

For that I went to LAN | DNS Filter. Enabled DNS-based Filtering and set it to No Filtering. Added my Custom DNS (Smart DNS) and then added an entry for Chromecast with that specific Custom DNS. (This works)
The issue is when I get to the Amazon Fire TV I also created a DNS Filter for this device and it points to other DNS's that are not Google and I am able to use Prime Video content RegionFree, the tricky part is when loading Netflix it has 8.8.8.8 built in.

If I'm DNS Filtering the Amazon FireTV this app won't load at all. It will get stuck on loading. I went ahead and tested other options and finally set the FireTv to No Filtering and manuallyu added the Smart DNS, this allows the AFT to use RegionFree content and load Netflix app, but when loading other region content it errors with location errors. When I review the Network info it has 8.8.8.8 forced after the Smart DNS. Netflix is suffixing Google's DNS. What would be the best approach to have the Netflix app not connect to 8.8.8.8?

I would like to apply changing with the webUI if possible. Researching I was able to find https://gist.github.com/epeli/9789586 which recommends using a dnsmasq. Is this the only way to get Netflix App on AFT to not connect to Google's DNS?
If that is the case, how can those changes done through ssh be reverted? I already saved my current settings.

Thanks in advance.

What would be the best approach to have the Netflix app not connect to 8.8.8.8?
If it doesn’t break anything else in your home network, you might try to set the Router’s WAN DNS to the desired Smart DNS, then use DNSFilter to set the AFT to “Router” (make sure LAN DHCP DNS1 and 2 are blank on the LAN page). Once you do that, you could use the dnsmasq.conf.add trick in ssh to redirect all queries for netflix.com to your preferred DNS server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!