What's new

Setting up network in On-Q Panel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lef107

New Around Here
Hello All,

I just moved into a house that has an aggregation point for all cat5e and coax in an On-Q panel located in a closet. All cat5e looks to be terminated per T568A with RJ45s into a Legrand TM1478 4x12 Telecom Module (see picture). There is a power outlet in the panel as well.

Basically, I'd like to take my cable modem and router and install them in the closet as the starting point for a data network. Can I simply unplug the 4 cables (my router can support 4 ethernet connections) from the TM1478 module which I'd like to use for data and plug them in the router? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated! (I'm experienced enough at setting up routers and such but the wiring part of this is new)...

Attachments

• IMG_0415_2.jpg
    IMG_0415_2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,820
If the cables are wired correctly, yes, you should be able to unplug the connections for the jacks you want to carry Ethernet and plug them into a router/switch.

I would advise you not put a wireless router in the cabinet. The metal case will reduce the signal.

Tim, thanks for your quick reply. Yes, understood about not putting the router in the enclosure. There is a shelf just above it that I was going to put the router on. So, in truth, I probably either need a patch panel to jumper up out of the enclosure or some RJ45 adapters to get up to where the router is located. I guess in the long term, I'd put a switch/router inside the enclosure and configure my current wireless router as a wireless AP.

Yes, use a switch and put it in the enclosure. Then you have only a few cables up to the router.

sultan

If your PC came with Windows 7 then it might have an available PCI-E slot. A quality PCI-E NIC is about $30 or less. PCI-E has enough throughput for full-duplex gigabit ethernet. PCI usually does not.

You can join us for best a+ study guide pdf dumps oracle training comptia security+ solutions. Our contains network plus study guide pdf all those you want to pass for real quincy exam & www.jhu.edu training.

Last edited:
patch panels are just a way to extend cabling and convenient way of quickly swapping cables around without having to touch the cabling that goes into the building. Connecting ports on the patch panel together is a way to connect 2 PCs together directly.

For them to work you have to connect the ports on the switch to the ports on the patch panel. If the cabinet is fully metal and fully enclosed you should not put wireless inside. Metal frames that use plastic or wood for example on the sides will do fine with wireless routers in them.

The only issue with your cabinet is that it doesnt seem to support rackmountable hardware directly.

Mishima01 you must be a troll because windows 7 is an OS and has nothing to do with hardware. Motherboards all come with gigabit ethernet.

Consider installing a router in the box. it will minimize the mess. You can then install another device as a wireless access point either on the shelf, or at the other end of any of those 4 Ethernet cables. This flexibility in location can really help you get better wireless coverage in your home. This is what I do at my house.

PS you don't need a special wireless access point. You can re-purpose a standard router. You just need to remember to first disable DHCP server on in, and then plug into the LAN port , not the WAN port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!