What's new

sharing cameras with upstairs neighbor & web access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

blahhh

New Around Here
gentlepeople

i'm installing analog security cams & a dvr (with 1 network port) & would like to share some of the cams with my upstairs neighbor. setting up the dvr on its own subnet with a switch / wireless AP works for both of us seeing cams locally. i'm not sure how to setup my own web access with 2 subnets (cams & family network) & i don't know how web access for the neighbor to see shared cams on their own internet connection should be setup. are routers with particular features needed to: (1) translate IPs & ports between the subnets? or (2) isolate ranges of IPs while sharing the dvr/cam IP(s)? or something else.

thanks for any help, links etc

thanks - i did some reading about static routes between subnets & want to see if i'm understanding it. again, the idea is to allow neighbor to see some cam video on their own network & for both of us to be able to access it via our own internet while keeping us out of each others' subnets. so routing rules should only allow IP of dvr & IP cams & not any other IPs. i didn't see any examples other than those that route an entire subnet. does static routing between subnets keep upstairs & downstairs apart & protected from mischevious kids?

here's an example of how i see the setup in my mind:
192.168.0 upstairs
192.168.1 cams - dvr 192.168.1.200: cams xxx201 xxx202 etc
192.168.2 downstairs

192.168.0 & 2 can set routes to match cams, such as
192.168.0.200 = 192.168.1.200 ; etc
192.168.2.200 = 192.168.1.200 ; etc

then the last step would be port forwarding for 192.168.x.200 for internet access to dvr.

the dvr & cams will all have static IPs. do i need to put them on a router, or will a switch do the job here?

i'd appreciate any links or examples of syntax that show how to do something like this. thanks again

Last edited:
i looked more closely at the router - netgear n750 wndr4000 - and believe 2 features will accomplish the upstairs access

1. assign reserved IPs to upstairs MACs (i will also have to maintain a wireless MAC whitelist, blocking all others - not alot to do there)
2. block services to upstairs IPs for all ports other than the 3 used by the cam server (e.g., 1234 1235 1236)

until i find a not to involved way to let them access the video thru their own internet while away, remote desktop or a remote control app like teamviewer will have to do.

my own access is easy enough - use duckdns for DDNS for my remote viewing

any comments are appreciated

i'm installing analog security cams & a dvr (with 1 network port)

What is the vendor of the DVR? Does it do live CAM input/playthru?

I've got a good friend with a Swann Analog Camera (16 channels/Cameras) that includes the disk based DVR - it does play thru and Pan/Scan for cameras that support it - we just port forwarded it thru his router so he could view at Home (the Cams/DVR are at his office).

Try to keep things as simple as possible, what folks have been discussing is actually more complicated than it needs to be.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!