What's new

Should I Buy Viostor and NAS or only one NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mestregroda

New Around Here
Hello,
I run a company with 20 cameras, I would like to buy a NAS for backups and surveillance.
Should I buy a Viostor for surveillance using WD Purple disk and Qnap Nas for backups using WD Red disks, or buying only a QNAP TVS-671 would be enough in order to handle surveillance and backups?
If buying only a TVS-671 can I use WD Purple Disk in 2 bays for surveillance and 4 WD Red disk for backups at same time?
Thanks in advance,
Gilson

Hello,
I run a company with 20 cameras, I would like to buy a NAS for backups and surveillance.
Should I buy a Viostor for surveillance using WD Purple disk and Qnap Nas for backups using WD Red disks, or buying only a QNAP TVS-671 would be enough in order to handle surveillance and backups?
If buying only a TVS-671 can I use WD Purple Disk in 2 bays for surveillance and 4 WD Red disk for backups at same time?
Thanks in advance,
Gilson

How much backup do you need for the surveillance video? If you need it all backed up, then I suggest you consider the following:

Two QNAP NAS' that are identically setup and back up to each other on the schedule you need/prefer (at least nightly, of course). Buy the biggest NAS (most drive bays) you can, even if you don't populate all of them right away (ignore the allure and wastefulness of 'expansion' devices, a new NAS is easily warranted for the price of those high priced add-ons).

I would set the first two drives in a RAID1 configuration as this is what stores at least part of the os and specific configuration on a NAS. This will also help insure that the NAS stays up and running even with a hdd failure too.

The remaining drive bays I would setup in a RAID5/6/10 configuration as needed depending on redundancy and/or storage requirements (and make multiple arrays as needed too depending on how many drive bays the NAS has (for example, 3 drives for each RAID5 array or 4 drives for each RAID6 array or at least 4 drives for each RAID10 array. But I would certainly prefer more arrays than a single array for the data).

With the above setup, you can use the RED drives for the os array and the Purple drives for the data arrays, but be sure to get the drives that the NAS supports and the drive model that supports the maximum number of hdd's your NAS will eventually have.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/surveillance/

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/nas/

The RED and Purple hdd's are spec'd for 1 to 8 drive bay use.

The RED Pro and Purple NV are spec'd for 1 to 16 drives and 8+ drives respectively.

Really depends on your application and needs...

A NAS can provide some level of Camera Support for IP-based network cameras - but 20 of them is probably excessive... QNAP for example, on many of their NAS boxes included a four camera license, and that can be expanded at a cost.

With 20 cameras - I would go with non-network cameras (lower cost per camera), and do a CCTV install to a dedicated camera server - and then, depending on the camera server, use a NAS share to spool off the recorded video.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!