What's new

Should I upgrade to 3264 ot not ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dar

New Around Here
Hi, Can someone give me a straight answer should I upgrage to 3264 on my rt Ac68u or not ?
Thank you

If your router is working fine as currently, no need to. Look at the change log, only you know if those changes benefit you or not

Hi, Can someone give me a straight answer should I upgrage to 3264 on my rt Ac68u or not ?
Thank you
It depends on the current firmware version.
3264 includes a few security fixes and previous versions do as well.
If your current router firmware version is rather old, say over a year, I would defenitely upgrade.

Thank you

At this point, it almost doesn't matter what it fixes (because what it 'breaks' is so much more). RMerlin 380.59 is the firmware that I would recommend you be on right now.

That advice may change in the future, but that is the straightest answer you will find today.

Stock Asus firmware has been a no-go since RMerlin came on the scene. ;)

Thank you. my verion is 1820, less than five month, I think...
It does have some gliches here and there, until some month ago whenever it froze,
I would look, and mostly found an upgrade, not by the auto check, that never worked.
I would upgrade and get some peace until next time.
now, it workes, but for this price, I expected more, more speed (internal), and more flexabale interface, I usually have to connect and disconnect once or twice in order to enter the page.....
I will try the firmware.
Thank you

Can someone give me a straight answer should I upgrage to 3264 on my rt Ac68u or not

in my point of view you are always best to keep in step with firmware upgrades as they fix potential issues and security flaws

the issue with moving to

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3264
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

is

ASUS has been dedicated to cooperate with third party developers to come up with more innovative features.
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

once you update i dont believe there is any going back , im yet to understand what and who qualifies the 3rd party world as certified

so sure update to the latest firmware as there are no issue as far as i can see apart from loosing a few bad apples from the 3rd party fw world

Stock Asus firmware has been a no-go since RMerlin came on the scene.

this statement holds true for very few and many are happy to stay with the stock firmware as it does all they need , the merlin firmware just refines and improves on the stock but a far majority dont need or want or even know about merlins fw and its only ppl that lurk these forums and the like that take advantage of what merlin does

so it may be a no-go for you but for many its fine and the stock fw stands head and shoulders above most other manufactures

this statement holds true for very few and many are happy to stay with the stock firmware as it does all they need , the merlin firmware just refines and improves on the stock but a far majority dont need or want or even know about merlins fw and its only ppl that lurk these forums and the like that take advantage of what merlin does

so it may be a no-go for you but for many its fine and the stock fw stands head and shoulders above most other manufactures

The above was true until Asus started putting limitations into it's firmware (and I would say, sneakily, for most consumers not following these forums). Yes, I know these limitations are coming for all, but the OP's question was answered as straightforward as possible, at this time. ;)

and I would say, sneakily

It's written on their own website's changelog when you download the firmware. They certainly did what they could to ensure that end-users were notified, nothing "sneaky" about it.

It's written on their own website's changelog when you download the firmware. They certainly did what they could to ensure that end-users were notified, nothing "sneaky" about it.

To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified firmware verification rule to ensure better firmware quality.
This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware.

The above Asus quote from the website has caught many off guard. I maintain that the wording they use is 'sneaky' for most consumers not deep diving into forums such as here. ;)

The above Asus quote from the website has caught many off guard. I maintain that the wording they use is 'sneaky' for most consumers not deep diving into forums such as here. ;)
no notice of no going back to old FW , not compatible is not really enough , they should plain out say no going back to older FW

no notice of no going back to old FW , not compatible is not really enough , they should plain out say no going back to older FW

Yup! Written by a roomful of lawyers. :rolleyes:

Failure to read, failure to understand, and being sneaky are three totally different things.

I know for sure they weren't trying to be sneaky, since I actually got asked for my feedback by them before they put this notice online.

Failure to read, failure to understand, and being sneaky are three totally different things.

I know for sure they weren't trying to be sneaky, since I actually got asked for my feedback by them before they put this notice online.

RMerlin, I cannot know their intent, of course.

But am posting what the end result seems like to most that I've asked about this.

Asus is simply complying with the FCC's most recent rules and regulations. Every router manufacturer selling equipment in the U.S. has to comply. I have no doubt that Asus is doing everything possible to continue the popular access to third party firmware as long as it is compliant.

I do have an issue with the FCC though as they squeeze successful companies with what are often unnecessary rules and regulations. Some regulations are needed such as frequency allocation but these are frequencies that are supposed to be open for public usage. Now they seem to want to regulate these frequencies almost as if they are fully licensed bands. Some of the regulations could stifle innovation of wireless technologies from companies like Asus. I worry about the potential for government control and control over free market evolving technologies like Wifi.

Regarding the most recent 3264 firmware... I hope new testing is done so that we as consumers can evaluation how the new compliance is effecting performance of our routers. So far I haven't detected any major differences with the latest firmware compared to the previous beta firmware but I haven't actually done many tests for range and performance other than it seems to be stable and works ok. I would recommend going with the previous Asus beta firmware or Merlin's pre-3264 firmware. In the future you could always upgrade to official Asus 3264 or later, Merlin post-3264 or when more extensive testing and reviews come out regarding their performance.

Last edited:
So far I have not noticed any difference in performance.

Wireless driver is the same version just a different date so I think there will be no difference.

there is a difference between dead end and cliff ahead

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!