What's new

Sick of my Netgear ReadyNAS NV+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Turick

Occasional Visitor
I've had nothing but problems with this thing. I'm sick of it. I have 4x2TB WD hard drives in it running RAID 5. It does nothing but freeze up, have I/O errors, and make me crazy. It never reports errors correctly and the only way you know something is wrong is when you can't access the web administration interface. That's helpful.

I use it to store my TV shows, music, movies, and documents. Several family members throughout the house stream the media to their laptops using XBMC. Some of my movies are blu ray, but most are DVD.

I'm looking for a good replacement. I don't want to get too crazy with the budget, so it would be nice if I could re-use my existing SATA hard drives. Does anybody have any good advice? Do others have the same bad experience with the ReadyNAS gear?

People typically turn to QNAP or Synology. You can probably reuse the drives. But check the approved drive list for the models you are considering and note they will be reformatted in the new NAS.

I was once in your situation - got myself a QNAP TS-669(6-bay), freakin' loving that unit. Before entering that realm of devices, do check the "compatibility" list.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!