What's new

Slow speeds in internal wlan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dect 6.0

I just scanned the 4000+ hits (not all phones ) that come up on Amazon when you search for cordless phones. If you sorted by cheapest first there were on very few non DECT 6.0 phones and most of the non DECT 6.0 were used/refurbished items and even then they were more likely 5.8 Ghz phones which should not interfere with the 2.4 Ghz Wifi.

My guess is that interference from cordless phones isn't a major problem any longer for most people at least in the United States.

Ok, so I scanned all 13 channels setting every one of them manually with 20Mhz bandwidth, N net only. Indeed, I can see significant differences, and channels 1, 6 and 11 are actually the slowest ones (~20Mpbs throughput measured with iperf from wlan to wired server connected directly to the router). Max throughput (~40Mbps) I can get on channel 4 and 8 so I'm setting it to 4 for the time being.
However, 40Mbps is still far from perfect :( What still makes me wonder is that InSSIDer shows max rate for my network as 216Mbps (regardless the channel) while some neighbours nets show 300Mbps. On Linux both iwconfig and wavemon show 65Mbps (regardless the channel). And this 40Mbps of actual throughput suggests I may actually be on ~65Mbps bandwidth...

I don't have any wireless phone (except mobiles, of course). I don't know about neighbours, but I my apartment there's no landline connected, so I think others don't use DECT as well.

I'm thinking of trying new experimental FW from Merlin. What else can I still try?

Thanks again for all the hints so far! You are really helpful and I learnt a lot!

Last edited:
Link rates are one thing (which is what inSSIDer is showing), actual throughput is another. If you are getting high retransmit rates, it indicates a large # of collissions.

You may need to face facts that your 2.4 GHz space is just too crowded/ active to get any throughput higher than you are getting.

Link rates are one thing (which is what inSSIDer is showing), actual throughput is another. If you are getting high retransmit rates, it indicates a large # of collissions.

You may need to face facts that your 2.4 GHz space is just too crowded/ active to get any throughput higher than you are getting.

Indeed, but does this high number of collisions cause low low link rate as well? Why InSSIDer shows 216Mbps (instead 300 or even 450Mbps) and iwconfig only 65Mbps?

BTW, I've noticed interesting behaviour of RT-N66U when I set manually channel to 2 but I left channel bandwidth to 20/40MHz - router set channel to 11 instead 2 - even though the UI shows 2, both InSSIDer and wavemon clearly show 11. I still don't get something or a bug in FW (Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31)?

Indeed, but does this high number of collisions cause low low link rate as well? Why InSSIDer shows 216Mbps (instead 300 or even 450Mbps) and iwconfig only 65Mbps?

BTW, I've noticed interesting behaviour of RT-N66U when I set manually channel to 2 but I left channel bandwidth to 20/40MHz - router set channel to 11 instead 2 - even though the UI shows 2, both InSSIDer and wavemon clearly show 11. I still don't get something or a bug in FW (Merlin 3.0.0.4.372.31)?

The RT-N66U build for 372.31 is a bit of a Frankenstein, as it has the older SDK/wireless driver hacked in. It's possible that there might be some oddities in relation to channel configuration (tho I was never able to reproduce them here under Google Chrome). You could try a different browser, also doing a factory default reset to ensure you don't have a mixture of old and new wireless driver settings.

When using that firmware if you have your 2.4G set to 20/40 that's when the channel wont stay changed if you go to 20Mhz only you can change to any channel at it will stay there. You really only should use 20mhz anyway on that crowded band.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!