What's new

Slow transfer rate to the USB HDD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

keytachi

New Around Here
So I am currently having issue where my transfer rate from either lan or wireless transferring data to the USB HDD that I have connected to the router. My old router was a TP-Link WDR3500 and the transfer rate on that was at least 10 MB/s but now when switching to the Asus RT-N66u, my transfer speed is now reduced to 3-6 MB/S. I don't have any of the other features like (QoN, VPN, or etc..) on. I am currently using the .374 build from merlin (the stability is really nice on it).

I have read forums that people can get to 12 MB/S. I have tried other HDD with my Segate USB 3.0 and still the same result. Is there any tweaks I can do to fix this problem or is there other firmwares that would improve on it? I haven't had time to try out other firmware as my family is on it 24/7 and they get angry when the router goes down for a minute or two.

Thanks for reading and Merry Christmas ;)

Do you run Download Master or store video/music on it? If so, that could be slowing it down. Try disabling Download Master and the Media Server (under USB -> Servers) and see if it helps with performance.

For best performance it's also recommended to use a native Linux filesystem, such as ext3.

I am currently not running a media server on the usb atm or have the Download manager installed. The hard drive is currently format as a fat32 and how would I format it to a ext3 using windows 8.1?

I am currently not running a media server on the usb atm or have the Download manager installed. The hard drive is currently format as a fat32 and how would I format it to a ext3 using windows 8.1?

You can't - ext3 requires using a Linux LiveCD to format it. Something like a PartedMagic boot CD for example.

But first, I would try reformatting it as NTFS instead of FAT32. FAT32 isn't optimal for large capacities such as a hard disk.

I had the same problem. My old Maxtor 1 TByte USB 2.0 HDD using FAT32 was slow, just 5 MByte/sec. Now using my new WD 2 TByte USB 3.0 HDD using NTFS and my speed jumps up to 9-10 MByte/sec.

Always had Download Master and DLNA Server disabled.

Last edited:
I want to share my problems into this thread.
I am able to read at 9 MB/s my usb drive through samba (measured with windows 8, when copying files)
However when I try to write speed stays at 30 kb/s
what is the problem?
I thought it was related to the wireless card, but it is not the case.
It does write really bad.
I tried using
mount -o remount,async /dev/sda1/
which was posted on the web, but nothing changed.
My Fw is the latest merlin beta, which i really find stable.
P.s I use entware. Only running programs is transmission and nginx. Doubt the impact is noticeable

Last edited:
I found a workaround.
I used Ftp to write files :) it worked fairly fast.

May I know how fast is that? I'm getting 7.5MB/s via FTP.

I've tested the speed with cuteftp
Mine is around 20-30 Mbps, about 4 MB/s (i am downloading with transmission)
It is 7.5 MB/s when I copy files from the usb disk.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!